Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Putty errors and disconnects on CER router

I have consulted the Google on this and have found nothing so I want to open a thread on this.

I am using Putty and connecting to my CER router.  At random but frequest times, Putty will lockup and throw an error message    This happens mostly, but is not exclusively, when using a command that has a lot of output: show interface, show run, etc.

I rarely use another client but it appears that the lockup does not happen to SecureCRT based on my limited testing.  Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening?

N/A

Re: Putty errors and disconnects on CER router

What version of Putty?  SecureCRT uses an entirely different buffering for commands and output.

I've run into many issues with the buffering on Putty.

New Contributor

We recently just got some Brocade FCX switches, and I was having a similiar problem when I was using SSH on Putty. Once I upgraded the software to 7300a, the problem was fixed. I can't remember what version they were on when we got them, but it was around 7000. So you could always try upgrading if you aren't on the newest version already.

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue as well, but it seemed to have started after installing the newest version of putty on a new Win7 desktop.

It only affects my Brocade boxes (MLX and VDX), and they're already running the newest code/firmware.

Any ideas?

N/A

Try puTTy version 0.60 - I was having this issue on newer versions of puTTy and 0.60 appears to be ok.

Occasional Contributor

This error message is seen when using the latest versions of Putty (Version 0.61, 0.62 or later) along with an older version of Brocade Software.

This error message is a the result of a change in the way Putty handles SSH flow control and may be present in all Brocade Layer 2 & 3 processing code.

Putty has added the channel request messages simple@putty.projects.tartarus.org and winadj@putty.projects.tartarus.org to

adjust the way SSH flow-control is handled. Putty expects a similar response from the IP product and when it is not seen a protocol negotiation error is generated.

If you do not want to upgrade code versions here are some
alternatives:

PSCP: Use version 0.60 or earlier of pscp. Use a different scp client.
Putty: Use version 0.60 or earlier of putty. Use a different terminal emulator.

Occasional Contributor

DEFECT000362023 - SSH server incompatible with Putty 0.61 and later and might disconnect the session.

After successfully getting PuTTY to connect to my MLXe-4 and FCX switches, I was perplexed as to why I couldn't get it to connect to my older FESX448 switches. When I found this thread, I knew I was using PuTTY 0.62 and that may just be the problem. I loaded up 0.57 and was able to download the key and connect. Once I had done this, 0.62 worked as well.

Just figured I'd through my observations in even though this is an older discussion.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go to: Putty Configuration > Connection > SSH >  Bugs

Turn on "Chokes on PuTTY's SSH-2 'winadj' requests".

Don't forget to save.

edit: I forgot to mention, putty version doesn't matter as long as this option is available.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook