Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Visitor

Pros and Cons of Brocade Ethernet Switches

I came across this review of Brocade Ethernet Switches that basically says the switches are flexible and easy to use but quite a bit of skills and knowledge is needed to configure the switches. Do you agree with this assessment? 

New Contributor

Re: Pros and Cons of Brocade Ethernet Switches

That's pretty subjective.  Much of this depends on your intended use and if you have much experience configuring from the command line.  If you are familiar with cisco switches, this should be a simple transition. I find the OS to be very straight forward and well documented, but the web interface is not the best.  Honestly, I can't remember the last time I even tried to access via the web GUI, so it might have changed in recent years.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

I love them. They work great and have great performance. I have noticed a few more hardware failures in the couple thosand switches we have put in, but you'll have that. Either way excellent product and if you really know network... very easy to use.

Joe Lentine BCNE
Occasional Contributor

Not agree with that assessment.

We work with these switches during 3 years and even certified to make best of them. Here are main issues:

1. Strange VLAN configurations - you will be confused about untagged and dual mode ports and how to change from one another

2. Really strange two operating system images - L2 switch and L3 switch - what for even use L2 - I do not understand at all

3. Poor, very poor study materials for certification, containing errors, the best one is Brocade IP Premier, which also contain errors and outdated and obsolete now since release of 8xxx version of internal OS.

4. Poor support services, especially on our region - almost always we are directed to Indian TACs, and we are not happy with them

5. Many critical bugs in OS, requiring reboot of the whole stack for improvement - examples are: DHCP relay does not work, reboot helps; config upload to tftp does not work, reboot helps; IP interface no created, but command accepted, rebbot helps.. I can continue with many more.

6. Prior 8xxx release you can not reconfigure trunks (LAGs, LACP.. etc) since they are syncronized between two neighboring devices, helped physycally removing cables from ports and reboot.

Let's take for example release notes of one of them:

Symptom: Secure copying an application image continuously on an ICX stack leaves the flash partition empty
on the active units and can eventually lead to unexpected device reload. - cool. yeah?

Symptom: FCX device may unexpectedly reload when connected with a DHCP client. - just wonderful!

Symptom: ICX64xx device unexpectedly resets when removing dot1x and dual mode configured on an interface.

...so on so on

Yes, they improve from release to release, but do you agree to be a no-paid beta-tester in your production network?

Isn't it too much for equipment positioned for use in a data center environment?

We used only FCX series, and I hope that situation with another series is much better, so if you plan to use FCX, I would not recommend it anywhere except access layer with pure L2 functionality and N+1 redundancy model.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook