Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Problem with Fastiron Fws24+2Gig Switch

I just picked up two used Fastiron FWS24g+2gig switches from ebay for training and learning purposes.I cannot get a console session to config the switches . I am using Putty for the session and a straight through serial cable for the connection. verified that the cable works by using it on a couple of cisco and hp switches at work.

I have tried using wireshark to find a ip address on the switches with no luck . Wireshark only shows the switch is using  Bootp on a 0.0.0.0 ip address and /32 subnet and the mac address of the port connected.

I am thinking the firmware could be missing(If that is even possible) as the switch when powered up is trying to use bootp. I called Brocade on this issue to see if I can get a support contract. The sales person said as the switches were purchased on ebay they will not support them nor put them under a contract..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shannon S

Super Contributor

Re: Problem with Fastiron Fws24+2Gig Switch

Try setting up a DHCP and let the switches take an ip address  - then use wireshark to see if it takes it.

Occasional Contributor

I'd check the cable to make sure it works in other Brocade switches. I've had alot of issues making sure I had the right cable (my problem putting all cables in the same bucket). The Cisco cables I have havn't worked. I had an older NetIron I think it was that I saw get an IP address via DHCP and I was able to get it that way to play with them.

Occasional Contributor

That's most likely a cable issue:

Cisco/HP/Juniper/pretty-much-everybody uses a "rollover" cable, while the FWS24 requires a straight cable.

I used an old modem cable, the one with DB9 and DB25 on one side, and DB25 on the other side. I think I used the DB9 and DB25 on the same side, and a DB9-DB25 straight adapter.

If you gain access to those boxes, please post your firmware versions.

Cheers,

Tamas

New Contributor

I have a DHCP server assigning addresses on one scope.fired up wireshark and watched the switch go though its BootP sequence of IP 0.0.0.0 Subnet 255.255.255.255. made sure I was looking for the correct mac address for the switch. I do not see the switch picking up a IP addess. Picked up a RS-232 serial cable (Made sure it was straight through type) and tried to connect through Putty. No response fron the terminal just a green cursor and showing connected.

Now here is something I thought of. What if these switches have some strange config in them? Something like Disable the serial connection, only allow telnet connections, the network config is set to a different IP and/or Subnet mask or looking for a dfferent DHCP server? I am curious as to how you can blank one of these switches without access. Like holding the reset button for 30sec or something. I might try tonight to pull the bios chip out of one to see if that works.

Thanks again for all the help and I will post back with results.

Occasional Contributor

I got fed up with my current console setup, so I tried to modify a Cisco console cable for Foundry and it works:

Simply get a classic baby-blue DB9-RJ45 Cisco console cable, cut off the RJ45 plug, and crimp on a new one, upside-down (black wire to pin 8). Used a standard Cisco RJ45-DB9 adaptor (74-0495-01) on the end, and it works like a charm.

Hope it helps to access that box!

Cheers,

Tamas

Super Contributor

Hi,

You cannot disbale console access on these switches.  Of course you password protect them though.  So if you still do not have console access then try a different cable.

If you connect to the console and then power on the switches you shouild see it booting - you want to watch this just in case the firmware is currept and that is why you cannot gain access to the console.

During this boot up process you should see an option to press 'B' to enter boot mode - from their you clear passwords and wipe the config.

Thanks

Michael.

Frequent Contributor

Hi sswanger,

I wanted to follow up and see if everything has been resolved on your end. Was your question answered? If so, please mark the answer as either helpful or correct so that helpful users will receive points. Thanks sswanger!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Global Community Moderator

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook