Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

PCs losing Gbit connectivity.

Greetings;

On our FWS648Gs some of the workstations that have Gbit nic cards are dropping to 100Mbps and I can't get them to get back to Gb speeds.

I've tried updating the drivers on one workstation.  I've also tried using the port configurations on the switch and setting them from auto to Full Gb Master or Full Gb Slave. Nothing works.

The switch is running the following code.

SW: Version 04.3.00T191
Compiled on Oct 07 2008 at 18:32:25 labeled as FGS04300

I've seen this now on both a XP workstation as well as a newer Windows 7 workstation.

They have differrent nics from different manufacturers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Contributor

Re: PCs losing Gbit connectivity.

4.3 software is pretty old. Have you thought of upgrading to 7.2a?

Also, what happens when you froce both the PCs NIC and the switch port to 1000 Full?

New Contributor

Greetings;

I do need to do the upgrade, you're right and I'll see what that entails.  But, we have tried setting both the switch and the PCs into different configurations. I have set the PC to Gb and have tried both Gb Full Master and Gb Full Slave on the switch side with no luck.  I even tried turning the flow control on with negotiation.

I actually have two of the FWS 648G switches.  I moved one of the trouble PCs to the other switch in the hope that it was the port or the switch that was having the issue. But it still only negotiates at 100 Mbps.

Thanks.

John.

Super Contributor

Hi John,

Is possible that the cables runs are too long (over 100m) or maybe they older cat cables.

I have some runs of cables  that do not go over 100m yet only run at 100mb due to bad cable quality, bad termination of the RJ45. Might be worth getting someone to test the cable run out.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

Greetings;

The cable is probably old, but I used a Net-Rite TP250 test tool and checked between the RJ45 into that PC's NIC card and at the other end where the RJ45 goes into the switch.  It terminates at a punch down bar and then another piece of cable RJ45 - RJ45 goes to the switch.  But all eight lines passed. No misswirings or open shorts etc.

Thanks.

John

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook