Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

OSPF in Brocade VCS environment II

Hi again,

One more question regarding OSPF configuration :

I am trying to figure out the configuratrion procedure based on below doc :

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NOS_410_AG/GUID-B479AA82-00FB-427A-8499-681AB32EAAF3.html

Which refers to below figure :

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NOS_410_AG/GUID-52026E31-35E0-4233-87F2-2BE033C03A10.html

1. I would like to know if MLX routers need to have Ve 1001 created ?

2. In the last step it mentions "Assign VLAN 1001 to a vLAG". Is it referring the area indicated by green color ? What is the procedure of this step ?

Thanks in advance

Brocade Moderator

Re: OSPF in Brocade VCS environment II

1. Yes, you would need to configure VE1001 on the MLXes.  It looks like the MLX switches have MCT configured which is a multichassis LAG technology, so you would have to configure VLAN1001, create VE1001 and then configure that into the same subnet as the VDXes.

2. On the vLAG port-channel configuration on RB1 and RB2 you would allow VLAN1001 using "switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1001" on the ports facing the MLXes.

Personally, I think that using MCT and vLAG might be over complicating things.  If you just need layer 3 connectivity between VDX and MLX layers then you could use point to point OSPF links between the two sets of devices.  If you need to extend layer 2 between VDX and MLX then using MCT and vLAGs would be a reasonable approach which provides resilience but eliminates the need for spanning tree.

Occasional Contributor

Hi sworrall,

Thanks for the response and I almost got what I needed. Just one thing :

Could you please explain more about 'point to point OSPF links'.Is this another set of connection other than normal connection ?

Brocadian

Sam,

If you have a layer 3 connection between two OSPF routers, it is called point-to-point network and you will not need a designated router (DR) or backup designated router (BDR) in this case. If you have a layer 2 switch or network connecting the OSPF routers, you don't have a point-to-point link and you will need DR/BDR in this case.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks smahadev

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook