Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

OSPF in Brocade VCS environment II

Hi again,

One more question regarding OSPF configuration :

I am trying to figure out the configuratrion procedure based on below doc :

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NOS_410_AG/GUID-B479AA82-00FB-427A-8499-681AB32EAAF3.html

Which refers to below figure :

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NOS_410_AG/GUID-52026E31-35E0-4233-87F2-2BE033C03A10.html

1. I would like to know if MLX routers need to have Ve 1001 created ?

2. In the last step it mentions "Assign VLAN 1001 to a vLAG". Is it referring the area indicated by green color ? What is the procedure of this step ?

Thanks in advance

Brocade Moderator

Re: OSPF in Brocade VCS environment II

1. Yes, you would need to configure VE1001 on the MLXes.  It looks like the MLX switches have MCT configured which is a multichassis LAG technology, so you would have to configure VLAN1001, create VE1001 and then configure that into the same subnet as the VDXes.

2. On the vLAG port-channel configuration on RB1 and RB2 you would allow VLAN1001 using "switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1001" on the ports facing the MLXes.

Personally, I think that using MCT and vLAG might be over complicating things.  If you just need layer 3 connectivity between VDX and MLX layers then you could use point to point OSPF links between the two sets of devices.  If you need to extend layer 2 between VDX and MLX then using MCT and vLAGs would be a reasonable approach which provides resilience but eliminates the need for spanning tree.

Occasional Contributor

Hi sworrall,

Thanks for the response and I almost got what I needed. Just one thing :

Could you please explain more about 'point to point OSPF links'.Is this another set of connection other than normal connection ?

Brocadian

Sam,

If you have a layer 3 connection between two OSPF routers, it is called point-to-point network and you will not need a designated router (DR) or backup designated router (BDR) in this case. If you have a layer 2 switch or network connecting the OSPF routers, you don't have a point-to-point link and you will need DR/BDR in this case.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks smahadev

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.