Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Network redundancy question

I’m just now reading up on BGP. Would BGP be possible to be used with VRRP?

The situation is like this: We have two buildings that are about 2 miles from each other. They are connected with a Metroline and both buildings have their own internet connections. There is only one ISP. Would it make sense to use VRRP between buildings in case one of the internet connections go down, then use BGP to maintain connection between both buildings in case the Metroline goes down?

I appreciate any advice on this and I apologize for the noobie question.

New Contributor

Re: Network redundancy question

Yes, this can be done.  Negotiate BGP between the two and redistribute routes with local weights applied if needed.  Configure two VRRP-E interfaces on each (usually on the same VE), one as gateway of building A with router A as the primary, and one as the gateway of building B with router B as the primary.

If I remember correctly, this is pretty well laid out in the netiron manuals if that's what you are using.

New Contributor

Re: Network redundancy question

Thanks for the response. I just needed confirmation that it could be done. So far, I have VRRP-E configured the way you have mentioned. 

I am looking at the docs for BGP setup. Luckily I have a test environment I can use.

Thanks again for your response.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.