Ethernet Switches & Routers

Most of Brocade switches unsupported in last IronWare 8.0.40

Hi

Just downloaded release notes for latest ICX release - 8.0.40.

And very very sad information:

Deprecated hardware
The following devices are no longer supported starting with this release:
 FastIron X Series: FastIron SX 800 and 1600 (FSX 800 and FSX 1600)
 FCX Series (FCX)
 ICX 6610 Series (ICX 6610)
 ICX 6430 Series (ICX 6430, ICX 6430-C12)
 ICX 6450 Series (ICX 6450, ICX 6450-C12-PD)
 ICX 6650 Series (ICX 6650)

It means - no new features, even simply software (like CLI history) for even switches releases 2.5 year ago - like ICX6430-C12 or Gen3 FastIron SX800.

It's very sad for me as Brocade customer. I trusted vendor, and now very regred this decission. I have 8 years old Cisco switches which are still receive new software & new features. But Brocade is killing own equipment after 2-3 years of release (like Gen3 SX800). Very big, sad and bad suprise.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Most of Brocade switches unsupported in last IronWare 8.0.40

There are some fantastic features in 8.0.40, very disappointed they will be limited to hardware that has been very buggy in the first year of deployment.

Occasional Contributor

Wow, that really is unfortunate. It looks like the next network upgrade I scope out will not be with Brocade.

Contributor

Already found same feelings from existing customers where each deployed 100-400 ICX 6xxx switches.

It could be good idea to integrate pure software new features (like CLI History, Remove VLAN etc) into 8.0.30 code.

Brocadian

Jake, the ICX 6xxx was not deprecated, instead we are taking advantage of the hardware features in the ICX 7xxx  to add those cool new features. As usual, there are some generic features that get in, and, if there is a business case, we will explore on a case by case basis to see the possibility to bring the featurette into the ICX 6xxx via a patch release in the FI 8.0.30.

We are not abandoning the ICX 6xxx.

++jose 

Brocadian

Hello Mrpbro,

Actually I suggest you to go back to your account team and check what is there for you instead of just bypassing newer opportunities in the new release.

May be we did not communicated well, but we are still supporting the ICX 6xxx via the FI 8.0.30 release patches.

++jose 

Brocadian

I can see your point of view, so many nice features that can’t be used on your already existing switches in your network, and makes you feel as if your gear is too old.

It was hard to make that choice but the advancements in technology-hardware was a limiting factor for the ICX6xxx, nonetheless, we are not dropping the products, hardware has not been deprecated, all products are and will be supported in FI 8.0.30 release train while newer hardware is supported in the FI 8.0.40; we are still protecting your investment.

The new hardware allows us implement the cool new features which are limited or not supported on older hardware, nonetheless, we will continue to add features in the FI 8.0.30 for the ICX 6xxx as engineering develops ways around the hardware limitations. For example, we implemented L2/L3 Auto-provisioning and Flexauth features/enhancements from FI 8.0.40 into the FI 8.0.30.

We are not abandoning the ICX 6xxx, instead we are allowing customers to have more flexibility in terms of the hardware and features needed, for example, we support the new Campus fabric: SPX with ICX 7xxx and Family stacking with ICX 6xxx, which is not supported on the ICX 7xxx.

We are adding more options & flexibility and will bring down features across releases as the business case requires it.

Please, make sure you share your concerns with your account rep or SE so we can address your specific needs in terms of features and hardware.

++jose

Contributor

Hi Jose

Great to see that someone from BRCD side is interested in our discussion.

I understand point that features like SPX will not appear on ICX6xxx series. As they're pure hardware oriented.

But it's not my point - You wrote that you're not abandoning ICX6xxx - so will customers see anything from below new features in 8.0.30 build ?

- Macros (batch and execute)
- Removes VLANs from the physical port
- CLI history
- Mapping SYSLOG messages to SNMP notifications
- DHCP options 49, 176, 242, and 252
- Flexible Authentication (FlexAuth)
- External captive portal with Aruba ClearPass
- RADIUS over TLS
- Automatic re-enabling of locked-out user accounts

I requested few from above myself did extensive job explaining sense of these commands/functions and expected results. All becouse:

A) my clients requsted that

B) it can increase my Brocade sales - as equipment is easier to configure (in terms of CLI, especially for former Cisco engineers)

C) it's make my work and my collegues easier - we also doing CLI configurtations for our clients

And now we will cannot use what we requested and was finally delivered - this is pain in the ass. As deployed in last 2-3 years 3000-4000 ICXes 6xxx nobody want replace them in next few years.

Regarding Business-Cases - they exist. Some are really simple - 300-400 ICX 6K switches deployed, customer is buying new 20-30 each year. Small deal. Some are more intersting as it's also currently 300-400 deployed but there is plan for another 300-400 in 2016. If we deliver ICX7K then it automaticly create question from customer - why my 2 years old ICX doesn't support 'Radius over TLS' (this is just for give you example).

J.

*Works for Elite partner*

Frequent Contributor

Dear All,

Well, event hough it's older gear, it's too bad that the FCX product line is also affected as we use these a lot.

Still, this isn't the first time Brocade does that. We, as early adopters of the VDX product line in 2012 (model 6730-76), had to suffer the same faith. We are in the process of replacing them with newer models as they are EOLed, pretty soon EOSed.

The point is, this product line, which was supposed to last at least 5+ years, bearely reached that milestone. And we also had to suffer from complete stop of code developpment with newer features, it's purely focused on maintenance releases and patch versions take more and more time to be released. We have been suffering from a major bug since last June which was last filed as a DEFECT, but correcting code version was only release in early December '15.

Hope Brocade folks are reading this.

Best regards.

Brocadian

ybzahr, The VDX6730 will not go End of Support (EoS) until May 2020 so the platforms have several years of support still to run.

In case you were not aware the End of Life plan for the FCX has been announced, it will be supported until May 2021. The replacement platform for new installations is the ICX7450 which brings with it a significant number of hardware and software enhancements. Full details are in the FCX EoL notice here http://www.brocade.com/content/brocade/en/backend-content/pdf-page.html?/content/dam/common/documents/content-types/end-of-life-notice/brocade-fastiron-cx-series-eol-notice.pdf 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook