Ethernet Switches & Routers

Highlighted
New Contributor

Max MCT Clients on ICX6650

Hi All

Does anybody know how many MCT clients can be configured on ICX6650?

Where I can find detailed specification (clients, port/trunk, trunks,….) about MCT on ICX6650? I was searching around - with very little success.

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Max MCT Clients on ICX6650

Hi MaHer,

As the client rbridge ID must be unique on the MCT pair I would issue the command (rbridge-id ?) with a question mark to see the range as the manual does not indicate the value and I do not have access to a ICX6650.  This should tell you how many client can be configured.

Page 219 of the Platform and Layer 2 Configuration Guide version 7.5.00 give you the MCT information..

Some key information below on MCT with ICX 6650;

• When running STP, the STP state should be the same on both cluster devices.
  • One ICL can be configured per device, and a device can be in only one cluster.
  • The software version in both cluster devices must be exactly the same for the cluster to function.
  • An ICL port should not be an untagged member of any VLAN. An ICL is preferably a static trunk that provides port level redundancy and higher bandwidth for cluster communication.
  • ICL ports must be part of MCT VLANs and session VLANs.
  • An ICL cannot be an LACP trunk (must be either a static trunk or single port).
  • MAC learning is disabled on ICL ports for all VLANs.
  • MDUP synchronizes all MAC entries for VLANs served by an ICL link.
  • The cluster ID should be same on both cluster devices.
  • The cluster RBridgeID should not conflict with any client RBridgeID or the peer RBridgeID.
  • The client RBridgeID is unique and should be the same on the cluster devices.
  • Brocade recommends keeping only ICL ports in the session VLAN during operation.
  • MCT can support up to 12 members per trunk group.
  • An ICL interface cannot be configured as the CCEP in any client.
  • BPDU guard and root guard configuration should be identical on both cluster devices.
  • As Egress PCL is configured on CCEPs, Egress ACL cannot be configured on them. All types of ingress ACLs, DDOS attacks, and so on can still be configured on those ports.
  • Brocade recommends that you configure a keep-alive VLAN as a separate link (not ICL). The keep-alive VLAN provides a backup control path when CCP goes down.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply.

I already found that page (219-Platform and Layer 2 Configuration Guide version 7.5.00) which you mentioned. Only following bullets says something about "quantities"

• MCT can support up to 12 members per trunk group

But I think this is about number of ports in one trunk.

I neither have an 6650 in my hand to test what command clinet....rbridge-id ?  would return. I try it out in our lab on CER. After configuring trunk, cluster, I want to configure client and when I want to specify rbridge-id system returns me following:

telnet@lab-cer(config-cluster-TEST-client-SWITCH1)#rbridge-id

DECIMAL   Cluster Client RBridge ID (Value range: 1 - 35535)

As you can see number for ids is from 1 to 35535. According to page 954 Brocade MLX Series and Brocade NetIron Family Configuration Guide 5400a, CER is supporting up to 50/2 MCT clients (if two port trunk are deployed).

So even if I had 6650 I doubt that that number will give me the answer. My opinion is that so large number (35k) gives me only ability to choose randomly.

I just hope that number of MCT clients on 6650 is similar as with CER (Num_of_ports/2).

Still searching....

Thanks

MaHer

Message was edited by: Marko Herzog

Super Contributor

Thanks Marko - good to know the RBridge ID will not help.  Suggest you call the TAC and ask them as that is the only public doc with any info on MCT for 6650 units.  If you do please post the TAC responce for everybody else.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook