Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

MRP & PB & ESI

Hi everyone,

I have a ring topology and I want to run MRP and use PB with ESI, but I wondering how to configure MRP. I need one instance of MRP (in seperate ESI) for all ESIs, or for each ESI I must configure MRP?

BR,

Zbigniew.

Super Contributor

Re: MRP & PB & ESI

Hi Zbigniew,

I an not sure what you mean by 'I want to run MRP and use PB with ESI'.  Can you pleae explain that statement?

below is an example on configuring MRP on a FASTIRON.

FastIron(config)#vlan 2

FastIron(config-vlan-2)#metro-ring 1

FastIron(config-vlan-2-mrp-1)#name CustomerA

FastIron(config-vlan-2-mrp-1)#master

FastIron(config-vlan-2-mrp-1)#ring-interface ethernet 1/1 ethernet 1/2

FastIron(config-vlan-2-mrp-1)#enable

These commands configure an MRP ring on VLAN 2. The ring ID is 1, the ring name is CustomerA,

and this node (this Brocade device) is the master for the ring. The ring interfaces are 1/1 and 1/2.

Interface 1/1 is the primary interface and 1/2 is the secondary interface. The primary interface

will initiate RHPs by default. The ring takes effect in VLAN 2.

Also you may want

Changing the hello and preforwarding times

You also can change the RHP hello time and preforwarding time. To do so, enter commands such

as the following.

FastIron(config-vlan-2-mrp-1)#hello-time 200

FastIron(config-vlan-2-mrp-1)#preforwarding-time 400

These commands change the hello time to 200 ms and change the preforwarding time to 400 ms.

Syntax: hello-time

<ms>

Syntax: preforwarding-time

<ms>

The

<ms>

specifies the number of milliseconds. For the hello time, you can specify from 100 –

1000 (one second). The default hello time is 100 ms. The preforwarding time can be from 200 –

5000 ms, but must be at least twice the value of the hello time and must be a multiple of the hello

time. The default preforwarding time is 300 ms. A change to the hello time or preforwarding time

takes effect as soon as you enter the command.

Occasional Contributor

Hi mschipp,

Things looks something like that. I have a ring topology, and I want to run PB (provider brigde aka q-in-q). So I create esi for customer vlan(cvlan) and for provider vlan (svlan), and I connected them. and right now i configured MRP instance for each esi in provider part of the network (esi in provider part with encapsulation svlan can have only 1 vlan so one esi - one MRP.

I think right?

BR,

Zbigniew.

Super Contributor

Hi Zbigniew ,

Yes - You are correct only one MRP per ESI.

NetIron(config)# esi customer1 encapsulation cvlan

NetIron(config-esi-customer1)# vlan 100

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100)# tag ethernet 1/1 to 1/2

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100)# metro-ring 1

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100-mrp-1)# name "Metro A"

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100-mrp-1)# master

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100-mrp-1)# ring-interface ethernet 1/1 ethernet 1/2

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100-mrp-1)# enable

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100-mrp-1)# exit

NetIron(config-esi-customer1-vlan-100)# exit

Configuration considerations

The configuration considerations are as follows:

MRP can be configured for VLANs with encapsulation type B-VLAN, S-VLAN or C-VLAN.

When MRP is configured for VLANs under an ESI, the MRP members must be part of the same ESI.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Ok, new problem appeared. I want to create management vlan, so in provider part I created esi with svlan encapsulation with vlan 100 name mgmt, i created ve and assign ip address for that ve. but when I want to assign client esi for  this provider esi i receive message:

Error: Cannot add client as ESI: zarz VLAN: 100  has routing configuration enabled

So my question is, how to configure management in that enviroment?

BR,

Zbigniew.

Super Contributor

Sorry Zbigniew,

That is about as much as I know.  My guess at this stage would be to engage the TAC or maybe somebody else has done this as I have not (nor can I see how you would do that.

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I found some solution, one port on customer side (eth1/4) I configured as provider-network port-type, and assign this port to my mgmt vlan in provider network as untagged. To this port we can connect mgmt station.

!
esi zarz encapsulation svlan
vlan 100
untagged ethe 1/4
tagged ethe 1/1 ethe 1/3
router-interface ve 100
metro-ring 1
ring-interfaces ethe 1/1 ethe 1/3
enable
name ring1

!

!
interface ethernet 1/4
port-type provider-network
enable
!
interface ve 100
ip address 10.10.10.2/24
!

Maybe it is not the most elegant solution but it works .

BR,

Zbigniew.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook