Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

MPLS-VPLS and BPDUs (MLX/CES/CER)

Hi together,

just a theoretical question:

What happen in the access-switches in a MPLS enviroment if i configure the same VLAN on - lets say in about 6 locations - and bring them together with one VPLS instance and i would deactivate VPLS-BPDU Filtering?

Normally each Switch becomes with R-PVST 5 BPDUs from the other switches - compared it is like in the old times you connect 6 switches together with a hub.

What does STP do on the access-machines? Reading and Switchover with every incoming BDPU the local STP Process??

What is the solution if i have a crosslink between two Access-Switches and i also would connect them to the HUB? In my eyes the VPLS acts like a Hub 'cos it has no STP instance running to controll the processes of the access-switches. So are there any MPLS-TE possibilities to get that running?

By default - VPLS drops BPDU and Loops all Packets until 100% of the link or CPU :-)

Thanks in advance

Re: MPLS-VPLS and BPDUs (MLX/CES/CER)

wow 2 years later and I am working on this. 

so we have the ethernet interfaces tagged on the vpls vlan.    the mlx drops the bpdu's at the ethernet interface.    this caused a bunch of spaning tree islands and allowed loops.     deactivating VPLS-BPDU Filtering fixed the local loop but then broke everything. 

I am hoping that you found a solution and are still around to talk about it.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook