Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

MLXE to Cisco 3560 Spanning-tree issue with no spanning-tree on!

I've got an MLXE with serveral connections to other switches but 2 connections to 2 different cisco switches wont pass traffic!

I have the mlx switch set as an untagged member of a vlan and the cisco switch as an access port for a vlan. I get the same error on both Cisco switches.

Look below:

Sep 14 08:43:32: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/19 VLAN2.
*Sep 14 08:43:32: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/19 on VLAN0002. Inconsistent port type.
*Sep 14 08:43:33: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/19, changed state to up
*Sep 14 08:43:34: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/19, changed state to up
*Sep 15 17:35:48: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/19, changed state to down
*Sep 15 17:35:49: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/19, changed state to down
*Sep 15 17:36:33: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/19, changed state to up
*Sep 15 17:36:33: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/19 VLAN2.

both ends on both switches are untagged. I dont even have spanning-tree running on the MLX Any ideas on how to fix this.

It immediately blocks the port on the cisco side!

Thanks,

Pat,

Contributor

Re: MLXE to Cisco 3560 Spanning-tree issue with no spanning-tree on!

You could try enabling BPDU guard on the port of the MLX if you dont need STP.

"In some instances, it is unnecessary for a connected device, such as an end station, to initiate or
participate in a topology change. In this case, you can enable the BPDU Guard feature on the
Brocade port to which the end station is connected. The BPDU Guard feature disables the
connected device's ability to initiate or participate in an topology change, by dropping all BPDUs
received from the connected device." ~From the config guide.

Also make sure that "no route-only" is issued on the ports as this is on by default in the MLX.

Hope this helps......

-John

Contributor

Re: MLXE to Cisco 3560 Spanning-tree issue with no spanning-tree on!

I had the exact same problem, Let me explain what we found out. If the mlx is running without spanning-tree on it simply passes bpdus throughout the system from other switches or links that do have spanning-tree on. You can either at the edge run spanning-tree protect on the MLX interfaces connected to other switches that have spanning-tree turned on or on the Cisco switch at the interface connected to the MLX run "bpdu filter". I had the same issue and have many connections and finally found the switch i had trunking these connections through and setup "spanning-tree protect" on the MLX port. This fixed the problem.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook