Ethernet Switches & Routers

N/A

MLX Optical Monitoring

Hello,

I've got a bunch of MLXs and I am unable to get any readings for optical monitoring.

I have,

enabled 'optical-monitor' on the global level

and

enabled the same on individual interfaces (some accept it stating its enabled, some raise a warning about incompatible optic)

and for the sake of trying it,

issued 'no transceiver-type-check' on the interfaces in question (note; was not on previously and link is passing traffic just fine)

I'm using 'show optic 1'

I don't have any Foundry/Brocade optics but these optics do show readings when inserted into Cisco 3550's

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

-James

Super Contributor

Re: MLX Optical Monitoring

Hi James,

SFP's have the optical monitoring  built into the them.  You can buy with or without the monitoring.

So if the ones you have to not support optical monitoring then turn it on the switch will do nothing. You must the SFP that support this feature.

Take one of the SFP out and get the part number, then google its specs - if you see no optical monitoring then that is that.

Thanks

Michael.

Contributor

The SFP standard allows manufacturers to add extra features that are engineered to work only in a particular OEM's equipment.

This helps vendors get away with charging $4995 list for a CWDM SFP that I can buy for $166 from oemoptic.com.  Nice margins, huh?

Your SFPs apparently are encoded to surrender their monitoring info to Cisco devices but not to Brocade/Foundry.

Nothing personal, just business.  At least the basic functions work fine!

Super Contributor

Hi James,

Make that their SFP's.... as I do not work for Brocade

From your responce "Your SFPs apparently are encoded to surrender their monitoring info to Cisco devices but not to Brocade/Foundry."

Are you saying you do have Foundry/Brocade SFP's?  If so then the part code should end with a -OM. (e.g. E1MG-OM) is that the case?

And as for the margin, well you are correct.

Contributor

Michael,

Not to worry...I was referring to James' SFP's, not yours.

BTW, oemoptic claims that their Foundry-compatible CWDM SFPs actually do support Digital Optical Monitoring (DOM) in Brocade switches for $166.  Not bad if true.

Also interesting to see Cisco's most common SFPs (GLC-SX-MM) listed in a Dec 2010 matrix as NOT supporting DOM.  Wonder if any have DOM in that category of ordinary SFP.

Paul

Super Contributor

Brocade have stoped selling the non DOM optics now.  So even the Brocade equ of the Cisco does have DOM now(it is the E1MG-SX-OM).  .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook