Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

MLX/ICX Problem importing MIB files into Paessler PRTG

Hello,

I have a problem importing MIB files from MLX and also ICX into the Paessler PRTG tool. When I start the MIB-import utility it shows me an error message that there are more than one "definitions::=" blocks. Firmware version is 5.4.c for MLX and 7.4.c for ICX.

Are the MIB files not standard conform or is the problem on the PRTG side? Has anyone an idea for a workaround/solution?

Thanks!

Frank

Frequent Contributor

Re: MLX/ICX Problem importing MIB files into Paessler PRTG

Hi Frank,

I would think this is an isue on the PRTG side. Below is an excerpt from the Paessler PRTG KB:

In our experience, the MIB Files from some vendors actually contain several MIB files in one single file:

In order for the MIB Importer to read the contained information, you have to split the file into single MIB files, each of them containing one section only.

Each section begins with a line containing the string DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN and ends with a line containing the word END. For example, such a section could look like this:

EXTREME-SYSTEM-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN  END 

The filename of the *.mib file should match the string before DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN, in the example above this would result in a file named EXTREME-SYSTEM-MIB.mib

Please copy each section in a single text file and save it. Afterwards, you can import these single files using the Paessler MIB Importer.

Regards,

-Bill

Frequent Contributor

Also, the error message you attached mentions "Please use the Paesler PRTG MIB splitter tool before importing it"

Occasional Contributor

Hi Bill,

many thanks. Yes, I saw the MIB splitter and it seems to work with it. However what I need to know if the Brocade MIBs are different or if the PRTG just can't handle MIBs with a couple of Definiton Begins messages. So the root question: Brocade problem or PRTG problem? As per your mail it seems to be a PRTG issue.

Regards,

Frank

Frequent Contributor

Frank,

See the excerpt below from the Brocade MIB Reference doc

The Unified IP MIB consolidates proprietary MIBs used by all Brocade IP devices into one
proprietary MIB file. With this consolidation, all MIBs from IP devices are fully synchronized from
one device to another. It also ensures that each MIB object across various IP products have
consistent definition. The SNMP Manager can compile MIBs safely from various platforms and not
expect to get warnings due to conflicting OIDs, data types, or enumeration. The supported standard
MIBs are not affected.

You can find the MIB Reference Guide on MyBrocade or the HTML version at the link below:

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/UNIFIED_IP_MIB_JUNE2013/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=Unified_IP_MIBTitle1.01.1.html

-Bill

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook