Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Layer 3 features on ICX6450 missing?

The product datasheet, the configuration guide, and the FAQ for the ICX 6450 all show that it is capable of Base layer 3 IPv4 routing between directly connected subnets/vlans.  You only need the premium license to support advanced IPv4 routing features such as OSPF

Following the FastIron_07400 configuration guide, the commands to create the VE fail as an unknown command.  I can't create loopback or virtualrouter interfaces at all, and its acting like it's a layer2 only switch.  I'm also confused that that doing `show license` returns BASE_SOFT_PACKAGE, while the configuration guide says it should be ICX_BASE_ROUTER_SOFT_PACKAGE which does not require a license.  This unit is running firmware file ICX64507400.bin.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Also, I've tried sending this question to support@brocade.com but keep getting a reply that "there was an error processing your email" and that I should phone tech support.  When I phoned, I was told that I didn't have a service contract and that I needed to use email support.  The mysupport on the webpage won't let me create a case either.  Can't say I'm impressed with Brocades tech support so far.

-Chris

New Contributor

Re: Layer 3 features on ICX6450 missing?

It took some hoops to get my account sorted out enough to submit a case via the web ticket, but the problem is solved.

Apparently, the ICX 6450 are shipping with the layer2 switching-only firmware.  If you want the switch to actually work as advertised, you need to contact tech support and have them send you the correct firmware file which is ICX64R07400.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook