Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

LACP over QinQ

Hi,

Is it possible to run LACP via a QinQ through a Foundry/Brocade network running MRP to another switch as per the attached drawing?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/Pauls_EBay_Items/Diagram/LACPthroughQinQ.jpg

The aim is to use the direct links between Switch A and F and the link through the Metro Ring network as the trunk links.

I've tried to accomplish this by setting the ports that connect switch B to A and E to F as QinQ links hoping that this would tunnel the LACP packets but the trunk is unable to establish.

Best regards,

Paul

Super Contributor

Re: LACP over QinQ

Short answer is no. that will not work.

If switch B and F are MLX/CEx then a MLAG together over a direct connection would then work.  However this is not the case for you.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for a brocade equivilent of Ciscos 'l2protocol-tunnel point-to-point lacp' command.

Anyone know if that would work anyway? Would MRP controlled ring be viewed as point to point by cisco kit?

Super Contributor

Hi Paul,

I do not know Cisco well, but I do not think Cisco would see the ring as point to point.  Maybe somebody with more Cisco experance could answer this one?  Otherwise suggest you post it on Cisco forums (and if you get an answer please post back here),

Thanks

Michael.

Contributor

Hi Paul,

From http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/jul/2/layer-two-protocol-tunneling/ and http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html#wp1005050

I get the idea that the Cisco kit at the edge on both ends may not need to "see the ring as point-to-point."

When the Layer 2 PDUs that entered the service-provider inbound edge switch through a Layer 2 protocol-enabled port exit through the trunk port into the service-provider network, the switch overwrites the customer PDU-destination MAC address with a well-known Cisco proprietary multicast address (01-00-0c-cd-cd-d0). If IEEE 802.1Q tunneling is enabled, packets are also double-tagged; the outer tag is the customer metro tag, and the inner tag is the customer's VLAN tag. The core switches ignore the inner tags and forward the packet to all trunk ports in the same metro VLAN. The edge switches on the outbound side restore the proper Layer 2 protocol and MAC address information and forward the packets to all tunnel or access ports in the same metro VLAN. Therefore, the Layer 2 PDUs remain intact and are delivered across the service-provider infrastructure to the other side of the customer network.

The MRP ring may only need to properly forward the "proprietary multicast address (01-00-0c-cd-cd-d0)" and/or the double-tagged Q-in-Q packets to the Cisco kit at the other end.  Apparently "point-to-point" in the command means that the protocol being forwarded operates in a point-to-point mode between the edge devices, regardless of what happens in the middle.

FYI and FWIW.

Paul

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook