Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

IPv6 no autoconfig

I'm trying to make a subnet be IPv6 capable, but not allow for address autoconfiguration.

On a Cisco you can do it like this:

ipv6 address 2001:3000:4000:5000::1/64
   ipv6 nd prefix 2001:3000:4000:5000::/64 no-autoconfig
   ipv6 nd managed-config-flag
   ipv6 nd other-config-flag

No-autoconfig disabled the "A" flag, managed-config-flag enables the "M" flag, and just to ensure DNS settings are obtained other-config-flag enables the "O" flag.  This results in a host that has one global IPv6 address that came from DHCP.  Removing the no-autoconfig line results in a host that has two global IPv6 addresses, one from DHCP and one autoconfigured.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out on any ICX hardware.  I'm running 08.0.30e right now.  Currently I have the following:

ipv6 address 2001:3000:4000:5000::1/64
   ipv6 nd managed-config-flag
   ipv6 nd other-config-flag

As in the previous example, my host ends up with two global IPv6 addresses.  I'm looking for the equivalent to the Cisco "no-autoconfig" line.  So far, no luck.

Is this possible to do and if so can anyone shed some light for me?

Occasional Contributor

Re: IPv6 no autoconfig

I figured it out finally.  The command is:

ipv6 nd prefix-**filtered** <ipv6-prefix>/<prefix-length> <valid-lifetime> <preferred-lifetime> [ autoconfig ] [ onlink ] 

Put that in and use the default values for the lifetimes and just leave off the autoconfig part.  The prefix attached to the interface is automatically advertised as autoconfig unless you override it.  Kinda weird and backwards from everyone else, but it's working.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook