Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

ICX post FI8.00 configuration template for VMWARE esxi5.5 - LACP/TRUNK

Dear community,

I am looking for ICX configuration template settings and/or ICX best practices with vsphere5.5 but could not find anyhting relevant so far anywhere . 

Has someone ever tested Virtual Swtich Tagging (VST) with ICX switches using static/dynamic LACP ? 

If so thanks to share the ICX template ! 

rgds

Da

Occasional Contributor

Re: ICX post FI8.00 configuration template for VMWARE esxi5.5 - LACP/TRUNK

Amen, brother -- I'm trying to figure this out myself (see my "What is an "uplink port" exactly?" post. I've got the VLAN tagging working OK but will be hitting the pipe size limitation soon and would really like to have an answer before the question gets asked--

Robert

Contributor

Re: ICX post FI8.00 configuration template for VMWARE esxi5.5 - LACP/TRUNK

[ Edited ]

I was able to test LACP with vsphere5.5 in our lab . Here are my findings .

-        Using the Vsphere WEB client was the only way to have access to the VDS LACP settings . Note I did not try to use a Standard switch .

• I then created a new lag under the newly created VDS switch with setting below , the main important one being LACP set to active . 

01.jpg

• Note that you now have access to a whole bunch of different hashing methods in 5.5 , I left the default one during my test:

02.jpg

-        The configuration on the ICX was pretty straightforward :

lag "TO_ESXI5.5" dynamic id 1

ports ethernet 1/1/1 to 1/1/2

primary-port 1/1/1

lacp-timeout short

deploy

!

vlan 10 by port

tagged ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/2

untagged ethe 1/1/10

-        After applying the configuration to the switch , the lag went up in a matter of few seconds

03.jpg

I have not try to use Static lag but I will recommend to stick to dynamic LACP as in case of misconfiguration on one side or the other , the LAG will simply stay down .

Hope this helps,

Rgds

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook