Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

How to upgrade firmware of stacked switches

Hi,

I have two ICX 6610 stacked switches. Need to upgrade the firmware to 08010c. Can anyone please guide me on the same? Does the standby switch gets automatically updated when I put reload command or should I remove the stack clables and update both the switches and then again connect the stack cables and start the switches.

Debabrato Mukherjee

Brocadian

Re: How to upgrade firmware of stacked switches

please consult FI 8.0.01 Software Upgrade Guide, which is available on MyBrocade - Documentation - ( download by ) Ethernet Switches - ICX6610 - 8.0.01 - Manuel - "FastIron_08001_SW_UpgradeGuide.pdf"

The documentation has detail steps to do the what you want to do.

Standby switch will get automatically updated because in FI 8.0.01 release,  it has a default feature of Auto Copy which is a mechanism used by software to ensure that all units in a stack environment are running the same image.

In Family Stacking for 8.0.01x, you can have different FastIron switch/router in the Stack.

If you standby unit in the 2 unit Family Stack is also ICX6610, then it is straight forward.

If your standby unit is anything other than ICX6610 for the Family Stack, then the UpgradeGuide got it covered for you - you will need to locate the correct image for the standby unit in the Family Stack which is something other than ICX6610.  ( since the image are different and not the same one in your ICX6610 flash.)

New Contributor

Thanks Ichan,

08001 is indeed has auto copy feature. The upgrade was messed up though as the primary image FXCS08010c.bin which I downloaded was not working and it was booting from secondary image(FXCR08010c.bin). Eventually I had to revert back to old 08001 image. Now today I can see one new image file uploaded 08010c1, which I will try upgrading in a few days time.

Debabrato Mukherjee

Brocadian

8010x  will be the release for the future.

There will be no more patches for 8001x.

8010c1 is the latest, just posted last night, to fix a major ssh defect, whcih is the only fix added to 8010c.

Occasional Contributor

Did you get this code update to 8010C1 completed? Please provide an update.

- Jonathon

Brocade Consultant
Northeast Ohio
BCNE & BCNP
New Contributor

Hi Jonathon,

I had still not updated the 8010C1 code as I'm yet to get downtime from the client. Once I get the downtime I will get it updated to 8010C1

Debabrato Mukherjee

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook