Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do I configure a Port that is tagged for a vlan and need to plug in something to the same port

I have a phone that is on VLAN 200 and it has a passthrough port that is configured for the Legacy VLAN. The printer plugged into the passthrough port needs to pull an IP from the Legacy VLAN configured in the DHCP. I wanted to tag 200 and untag 600 but I cannot do both on the same port. Any suggestions on how to do this?

Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I configure a Port that is tagged for a vlan and need to plug in something to the same port

Hi Marshc,

You use the command dual mode to allow an untag valn onto a tagged interface.

Say VLAN 20 need to have tagged traffic and VLAN 10 need untagged traffic, you would do the below.

conf t

vlan 10

tag e 1/1/1

vlan 20

tag e 1/1/1

int e 1/1/1
dual 10

Thanks

Michael

Thanks
Michael
New Contributor

Re: How do I configure a Port that is tagged for a vlan and need to plug in something to the same port

It looks like you tagged VLAN 20 and VLAN 10. Is this the correct way to get an IP address from the range of a printer that doesn't have the capability to set a VLAN? I can set the VLAN on the phone which would be tagged 20 and the printer would also be tagged 10?

Thanks for you help

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is correct, you can tell the phone which VLAN to pull from, if you don't it will pull an IP from 10 automatically, the dual mode 10 tells the switch to place untagged traffic onto VLAN 10.

Depending on the phone, you may be able to set a DHCP option to tell it to grab an IP from VLAN 20

Occasional Contributor

John is correct. Dual mode is what you want.

- Jonathon

Brocade Consultant
Northeast Ohio
BCNE & BCNP
New Contributor

Thanks for the help

Exactly what I needed - works great!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook