Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

GS648P access

Hello

I recieved an old used switch that has a defective serial port, meaning I cannot use it for anything.  I am able to access the web interface only via the IP6 address, cannot find the IP4 address, but I cannot login.  Is there a way to reset the unit to the default account?  I used the reset button but that only rebooted the unit.  Is there a way to reset the entire unit and also what is the default user and password once this is done?  I read the manual but it does not have anything on this and I also searched the forum for GS648P and found nothing related.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

External Moderator

Re: GS648P access

-->>cannot find the IP4 address

you dont see IPv4 addresse, because no one is configured.

--->>I am able to access the web interface only via the IP6 address,

if GUI is work, then you should be a ble to login trough the Management Port via Telnet, but only if Telnet was listed on IPv6 otherwise this not work.

-->>Is there a way to reset the unit to the default account?

you can reset to factory default only when you have access to Serial Console or via management Port, the reset Buttons on the switch is intended only to reboot the switch when required instead to Power-Off / On

TechHelp24
External Moderator

from installation guide

To assign an IP address, you must have access to the Command Line Interface (CLI). The CLI is a
text-based interface that can be accessed through a direct serial connection to the device or
through Telnet connections.

You will need to assign an IP address using the CLI. You can access the CLI by attaching
management station through a serial cable to the Console port. After you assign an IP address, you
can access the system through Telnet, the Web management interface, or IronView Network
Manager.

Are you sure the Serial Console is Defective ?

nor you have a wrong Serial Cable !!

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Antonio

The serial connector is damaged beyond repair thus my only hope is to try the telnet or guess the password which I won't evn try.  

Would using putty in telnet mode to the IP6 address work if it is assigned initially? 

Thanks for your help

External Moderator

->Would using putty in telnet mode to the IP6 address work if it is assigned initially? 

it should work,..

Alternative, im not sure why i've never dismanteling any such Switch.

you can remove the cover, and see if the switch have a internal on-board any additional Serial port for Service.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I'll try that.  I'll also see if I could solder the 4 cables internally just to get it working.  Once I have the IP I'll be set.

Thanks 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help, got this working using telnet as the IP6 address was working with it.

Occasional Contributor

GS648P management access

[ Edited ]

Having obtained access to the switch I made a change to the management settings where now I only have access to the switch on port 0/1/1.  Is there a way to get access through all ports?

External Moderator

Re: GS648P management access

[ Edited ]

is probable, - due the defective - VLAN is created and the management port is be mapped  to port 1.

with command "show vlan" you should get the output if any is configured.

FYI. I've merged both Threads

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Re: GS648P management access

Thanks for merging the posts.  I thought I had to create a new one.

On the switch there is only one VLAN configured, the default VLAN 1.  Within the running-config I have the following:

web-management frame front-panel
web-management frame bottom
web-management page-menu
web-management allow-no-password
web-management enable ethe 0/1/1

I assume that by removing the  'web-management enable ethe 0/1/1' line it would allow access to all ports.  I just cannot see the command to do this.  I tried 'no web-management enable ethe 0/1/1' but that did not work.

Also on another topic the switch is running version 03.1.00aT7e1.  Is that old? Is there a newer one available that I can access?  I know that Brocade does not like to give out firmware for second hand equipment so I may be stuck with this version.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook