Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Foundry SuperX Layer2 vlan 1

Hi!

I just got a Foundry SX. I'm trying to Tag a port to the vlan 1 and to another vlan.

Problem is, I cannot tag the port to vlan 1, I get a "Invalid input"

vlan 1

tag e 9/3

"Invalid input -> 9/3"

It seems that it's expecting an HEX number.

On the other vlans, I don't get this issue.

How come I cannot tag vlan 1??

I want to do this cause my old equipment use vlan 1 for the network and I' doing a transition.

Thank you!

Contributor

Re: Foundry SuperX Layer2 vlan 1

Anyone?

Super Contributor

hi, gagnon.jean-francois

VALN 1 is the default VALN, you cannot apply tagging to this VLAN.

See note from page 405 of the config guide in FastIron  Configuration Guide versio 7.2.00.

Assigning IEEE 802.1Q tagging to a port

When a port is tagged, it allows communication among the different VLANs to which it is assigned. A common use for this might be to place an email server that multiple groups may need access to on a tagged port, which in turn, is resident in all VLANs that need access to the server.

NOTE

Tagging does not apply to the default VLAN.

When using the CLI, ports are defined as either tagged or untagged at the VLAN level.

So this means you will need to change to currect VALN on the other kit to something else other then 1 (or 4091 or 4092) then you will be good to go.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Hi gagnon.jean-francois

How did you go?

Thanks

Michael

Contributor

My problem is that I'm stuck with non-managed switchs for a little while.

I'll see what I can do until then

I'm just a bit disappointed that Brocade won't let you tag vlan 1 while HP Procurve let you do it. Even Cisco let you do it...

Thanks!

Super Contributor

If you have no choice but to use vlan 1 as a user vlan then you need to change the default vlan.  This VLAN 1 can be used as a normal VLAN.

Assigning a different VLAN ID to the default VLAN

When you enable port-based VLANs, all ports in the system are added to the default VLAN. By

default, the default VLAN ID is “VLAN 1”. The default VLAN is not configurable. If you want to use

the VLAN ID “VLAN 1” as a configurable VLAN, you can assign a different VLAN ID to the default

VLAN.

To reassign the default VLAN to a different VLAN ID, enter the following command.

FastIron(config)# default-vlan-id 4095

Syntax: default-vlan-d

<vlan-id>

You must specify a valid VLAN ID that is not already in use. For example, if you have already defined

VLAN 10, do not try to use “10” as the new VLAN ID for the default VLAN. Valid VLAN IDs are

numbers from 1 – 4095.

Contributor

Thanks mschipp!

Exactly what I wanted!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook