Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

First Configure Voice Vlan

I wanted to know about the Voice Vlan configuration on a Brocade ICX6450 switch.

Now set up two vlans, one data and one voice. I Tagged the ports specify which was the voice vlan with the command:

SSH @ ICX6450-48P Switch (config-if-e1000-1 / 1/10) # voice-vlan 800

Until there everything perfect but my question what  is the difference in put "voice-vlan" or just tagged in vlan without voice vlan .

Try to find documentation on how to configure voice vlan or to know more information of functions like, LLDP To know what is it for

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: First Configure Voice Vlan

[ Edited ]

Good Day

You still need to provision the VLAN itself.

For example:

vlan 123 name Voice by port
tagged ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/48 ethe 1/2/1 to 1/2/4
!

What this does is create VLAN 123 and set ALL the ports on the switch to be a part of that VLAN such that they are all Trunk ports.  They send/receive ethernet frames with an 802.1q VLAN ID of 123

The Cisco equivalent is:

SW(config)# interface GigabitEthernet0/1

SW(config-if)# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

SW(config-if)# switchport mode trunk

SW(config-if)#  switchport trunk allowed vlan 123

... For ALL ports though you can do a range; I know.

Now to pass ordinary traffic which consists of Ethernet_II frames without teh VLAN_ID set.  Known as *access* ports by Cisco and Untagged ports by most otehr vendors, you would use dual-mode on a Brocade.

dual-mode allows an interface to work with both tagged and untagged frames.

dual-mode is what Cisco calls a Native Vlan.

You probably want something like this:

int ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/48
dual-mode
trust dscp
inline power
!

The above statemetns would tell the switch if it sees UNTAGGED frames to put those into the default VLAN.  Note: on a Brocade the default VLAN is a holding place where interfaces thata re not assigned to other VLANs go.

You could do someting like "dual-mode 19" and it would tell the switch that untagged frames go into VLAN 19.

DSCP is a layer-3 prioritization tag, you probably want to trust those set by the device which probably uses EF.  These are layer-3 routable unlike the Layer-2 COS priority field.

Basically, they can be used within a class-map on a device that implements a policy-map to apply QoS (Quality of Service).

Then well "inline power" enables the PoE+ capabilities.

I hope this helps...

Next you really need to enable LLDP at least unless you are using Cisco phones.  If nothing else it is needed to advertise and properly set the Power Class for the devices.

Command:

lldp run

Now the voice-vlan command essentially advertises a Voice VLAN to the devices.  Some devices you can do it through DHCP via an option like the 242 Avaya option, but ultimate voice-vlan is a good idea to configure if your system supports it.

Command would be under the interfacs:

voice-vlan 123

Lastly, you may want to look into LLD-MED as well.  I recommend you read the Brocade documentation on LLDP and LLDP-MED starting here:

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/FI_08030_ADMIN/GUID-8F42C3A0-30C0-42B4-9745-398F6674B6D0.html

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.