Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Feature similar to Cisco Express Forwarding present in Brocade switches

hi,

I am new to Brocade switches. I had a question - Cisco switches have a feaure for forwarding to create FIBs that is as soon as the entry is added in RIB the route is updated in FIB (with next hop and outgoing interface resolved)  and so all packets will be handled by hardware. NOT even a single packet will be handled by CPU. this feature is called Cisco Express Forwarding. do we have something similar option in Brocade switches?

thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Feature similar to Cisco Express Forwarding present in Brocade switches

Yes, a similar feature is supported in Brocade switches as well.  Cisco Express Forwarding is a centralized process on the 6500 with all routing being done on the Supervisor module.  Distributed CEF, dCEF, is done on the linecards and requires a much more expensive piece of hardware.

Brocade switches, say for instance FastIron SX follows the dCEF model with all routing, switching, ACL and QoS decisions being done on the line cards as a much less expensive price point than the 6500.  The 4500 only does centralized forwarding.

thanks,

Deepti

Occasional Contributor

Thankyou . Actually Mybad I was referring to Foundry switches.

I had one more questions :

1. How is the FIB build usually in Foundry switches ? Is it that when the FIRST packet comes in for destination X it is handled by the Software by referring the RIB and later this entry is copied to FIB and after that all packets for destination  X are handled at Hardware.

OR

whenever the RIB is updated its FIB gets updated and FIB always has all entries resolved . Similar to Cisco Express Forwarding ?

2. is there any way I can get a FIB with all next-hop and outgoing interfaces resolved as the output provided by Cisco Express Forwarding.

Super Contributor

Hi

As a FYI the Fastiron SX was a Foundry chassis (and now a currently shipping Brocade).

As for the forwarding process I believe it follows the process you outlined in point 1 above.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook