Ethernet Switches & Routers

Frequent Contributor

FastIron SX - handling software licenses

Hello colleagues.

Who has detailed experience with handling Brocade IP software licenses on FastIron SX chassis with dual management module setup?

I am aware of

-- the poor explanations in the FSX manual.

-- how to generate a FSX software license via the MyBrocade software licensing tool by using a LID and the transaction key.

But I have the following open questions please:

-- how to load the software license onto the second, standby management module in a production FSX switch? With as less as possible interruption?

-- is the loaded license active immediately or do I have to reboot the whole FSX switch to activate it?

-- how to transfer an active software license from one management module to a new one in case of a hardware failure?

I need to do this with at least FSX v7202d/e or even v7300 and need to install IPv6 software licenses onto FSX switches currently running SXR L3 code and IPv4 L3 license via PROM.

You might wonder why I ask this in here and not at Brocade.

Well, no one could give me those details up to now.

Thank you

Karl

Super Contributor

Re: FastIron SX - handling software licenses

Hi Karl,

FESX6, FSX 800, and FSX 1600 devices

SX 800 and SX 1600 devices with redundant management modules must have two separate licenses to run the same licensed feature on both management modules. The license file in the active management module is never copied to or updated on the standby management module.

Upon bootup, the active management module compares its license with the standby management module. If the license differs (believe this should read like this - license type differ, not same license with different LID), the active management module immediately shuts down the standby management module. To enable the standby management module, you must install a separate license. For example, if the active management module has the license SX-FIL3U-SW, the standby management module must also have this license.

So we can see that two licenses (for the same feature but with different LID's) are required for a SX with redundant management cards.

Using TFTP to copy a license file on FESX, SX 800 and SX 1600, and FWS devices

To copy a license file from a TFTP server to the license database of the Brocade device, enter a command such as the following at the Privileged EXEC level of the CLI:

Brocade# copy tftp license 10.1.1.1 lic.xml

Once a license is installed on the Brocade device, it has the following effects:

• For FCX and ICX devices, the license unlocks the licensed feature and it becomes available immediately. There is no need to reload the software.

• For FWS, FESX6, and FSX devices, the license unlocks the ability to upload the software image (for example, edge Layer 3 or full Layer 3) onto the device. Once the software image is installed and the software is reloaded, the license unlocks the licensed feature.

Ok so you need to add the license then upgrade this image then reboot for the SX.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now to Karl’s questions;

But I have the following open questions please:

-- how to load the software license onto the second, standby management module in a production FSX switch? With as less as possible interruption?

The real question.... answer unknown to me, however I would try

• Copy the required firewamre to the SX
  • Add the first license
  • Write mem
  • Reload
  • Do a hitless failover
  • Install the second license
  • Write mem
  • reload

-- is the loaded license active immediately or do I have to reboot the whole FSX switch to activate it?

Reboot/s is/are required (and the correct software/firmware need to be loaded prior to the reboot)

-- how to transfer an active software license from one management module to a new one in case of a hardware failure?

You cannot do this as each cards needs its own license

BROCADE

Please confirm or advise the process to get the second management cards installed with the license.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook