Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

FastIron LS and WS switches, multicast session very slow

Hi,

I have a FastIron LS 624G, layer 2 firmware, connected to FastIron SuperX-PREM router.

I have a FastIron WS 624, layer 2 firmware. Note that ports 1 to 4 are 10/100/1000Mb ports and ports 5 to 24 are 10/100Mb, factory design. This switch is connected to a FastIron LS 624G, this one noted above.

CASE 1 (problem) : When I connect a PC to the FastIron LS 624 switch and make that PC to be the master of the multicast session (the sender of the image), and I connect 2 PCs to the FastIron WS 624 switch an make those PCs to be the client of the multicast session (the receivers of the image), then it takes 300 minutes to transfer the image.

Note that the source of the image is the master PC it self. Zenworks Imgaing can read the data from the local hard disk and shoot this to all multicast client PCs.

CASE 2 (no problem) : When I connect a PC to the FastIron LS 624 switch and make that PC to be the master of the multicast session, and I connect 2 PCs to the same switch (FastIron LS) an make those PCs to be the client of the multicast session, then it takes 75 minutes to transfer the same image.

CASE 3 (no problem) : When I connect a PC to the FastIron WS 624 switch and make that PC to be the master of the multicast session, and I connect 2 PCs to the same switch (FastIron WS) an make those PCs to be the client of the multicast session, then it takes 75 minutes to transfer the same image.

CASE 4 (no problem) : When I connect a PC to the FastIron SuperX-PREM router and make that PC to be the master of the multicast session, and I connect 2 PCs to FastIron LS switch an make those PCs to be the client of the multicast session, then it takes 75 minutes to transfer the same image.

CASE 5 (problem) : When I connect a PC to the FastIron SuperX-PREM router and make that PC to be the master of the multicast session, and I connect 2 PCs to FastIron WS switch an make those PCs to be the client of the multicast session, then it takes 300 minutes to transfer the same image.

The master PC ant clients PC have same hardware. The master PC was allways the same for all the tests I did.

I thought that the problem was a link speed-buplex issue, but I have other switch like FastIron Edge (FES) and EdgeIron switches, those switches have only 10/100Mb speed-duplex ports and I have no problem with multicast sessions.

I use Zenworks Imaging multicast to "copy" one PC to others. Zenworks Imaging multicast works like Ghost multicast, zenworks imaging does not work as same as Ghost multicast work as I don't have this problem with Ghost multicast. But I have to make Zenworks Imaging working.

I put this command on both LS and WS switch :
ip multicast passvie

I puth this command on the router :
ip multicast active

When I look in the router and in the switch all seems ok.

This problem occurs with all of these 2 firmware versions :
4.3.03, 7.0.001b.

I didn't try with version 7.1.00 and earlier since there is a problem with the link speed-duplex on FastIron WS, just look another post I make : thread 5323, FastIron WS 624 switch firmware 07.2.00a, ports link speed-duplex is only 10Mb full duplex

I did try to create a case in my brocade support but the web page of case management don't work. And I can't make a case in Brocade

web site nor a ticket in foundry web site since Brocade bougth Foundry, cause there sites can't validate the serial number of my

router/switch even if our support contract is valid (the expiration date is in october 2011)

Does someone have any idea of how to solve thie multicast problem?

N/A

Re: FastIron LS and WS switches, multicast session very slow

Not a master with mulitcast by any means it is very diffcult to get this setup properly. Mainly esically with ghost they did not do the greatest job of following the multicast standard. I believe the ip multicast passive will make multicast such as ghost sessions or Zenworks in your casehave more problems. I would recommend taking that command out of the L2 switches and see if that helps. I have my L2 switches with nothing speical set and it works fairly well.

If you are not on the same vlan on each switch then you are going to have to setup PIM(Protocol Independent Multicast) on the super-x as you will need it to route multicast. I know you have two options here dense mode and sparse. Dense is easier as you don't have to configure the rendezvous points.

On a side note if they won't take your serial number can you call your sales rep from Brocade. I had some trouble with mine when I renewed but they were able to get it all worked out for me. Also do you have a field enigneer in your area? You can try to run by what you are trying to accomplish by them and they can help you get it up and going. That should be covered in your support agreement. I know that has helped me when I get stumped.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook