Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

FCX624S - Link agregation vs manually created trunks

Hi

For the record:

FCX624S - firmware 7.2.00a

Layer 2 configuration, stacked switches

For now I have created a metro-ring spaning between all stacks (in this moment 3 of them, will be more of them soon). I am using the 10Gb modules and fiber optics for the ring.

I have manually set up trunks (1\3\1 to 2\3\1), (1\3\2 to 2\3\2) on every stack.

===========================================================

Now to my question

Is there any differencies in functionality or performance between a dynamic and a static trunk, regarding load balancing etc? I mean if you are using "Link agregation" (active ports) or if you set up your trunk manually? Or is it the exact same thing?

(No trunks will be created between hardware from different vendors at this point).

Hope someone has knowledge to help me in the right direction.

Regards

Kristofer

Super Contributor

Re: FCX624S - Link agregation vs manually created trunks

Hi Kristofer,

They are the same for load sharing. They following the same rules.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thx for the quick answer.

When you say "the follow the same rules", it´s for the whole trunk. It´s only two different ways to setup a identical trunk (using exact the same rulset).

Thanks once again!

Cheers

Kristofer

Super Contributor

Hi Kristofer,

This is true from a load balancing pointy  of view.  They use the same internal processing to load balance.  There are differances between static and dynamic, but no from a load point of view.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Do you have any recommendations when to use static or dynamic trunks? I will create trunks for these purposes described below.

For a metro-ring holding lot of vlans using interface 1/3/1 to 2/3/1 as a trunk for uplink to stack number 2 at 1/3/2 to 2/3/2 ..... back to stack 1 1/3/2 to 2/3/2 approximatley 8 stacks  (10 GB modules).

and

For distribution to rack rows 1/1/1 to ds-pri-switch and 2/1/1 to ds-sec-switch (ethernet).....

Or have I missed some elementary rules for when using static vs dynamic trunks?

Appriciate your patience with all my questions

Thanks in advance

Kristofer

Super Contributor

Hi Kristofer,

I am a confussed in the way you have the switches setup.  Can you post a diagram please.

Why are you using MRP when you could stack the switches together (also using the 10g ports if you need longer runs that the deadicated 16g ports will go)?

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have attached a picture on the setup, and I will try to explain to =)

I have created several stacks of 2 units each using 16 GB stack cables

From the admin switches I have a star-net for management of every stack (ds-fe-rar, ds-be-rar, ds-fe-rbr, ds-be-rbr, ....)

For distibution of vlans I use metro-rings (one for frontend and one for backend), for this I use the 10GB module (eth 1/3/1 to 2/3/1 - Trunk 1, 1/3/2 to 2/3/2 - Trunk 2)

For distributions of vlans to a specific rack row I will use a trunk (eth 1/1/1 to 2/1/1 - RowA to pri and sec switch, 1/1/2, to 2/1/2 - RowB to pri and sec switch)

I hope you understand my explanation togheter with the attached picture. The question is if this setup should use static or dynamic trunks?

appreciate your help!

Thx Kristofer

Super Contributor

Hi Kristofer,

The choice is yours. Both will work just fine with no performance differance.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

That sounds perfect, then I will resume with the setup of my new core.

Thanks one again

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook