Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

FCX Temperature Reading Inquiry

Greetings!  I have an FCX648-HSPOE with a fan that is acting a little squirrely repeatedly switching the fan speed from 1 to 2 and back over and over...We have ruled out any environmental issues, AC/cooling is good, airflow in and around the rack is nornal, and power is normal. The <sh chassis> command shows me that the temperature readings (even when fluctuating) are falling below my thresh hold settings, and I have compared everything to a couple of our other devices we have in the same rack which are issue free - so essentiall, everything looks normal. Before I open a case with Brocade support I was hoping someone could clarify what exactly 'MAC temperature' is referring to in the <sh chassis> output?! The CPU temp is obvious, but I cannot find any reference to what the MAC temp specifically gauges? A couple of the config guids, installation guides, and some internet searching do not pull up anything specific either (although I am guessing it is either 'memory temperature' or 'voltage temperature'. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

MAC 1 Temperature Readings:

Current temperature : 53.5 deg-C

MAC 2 Temperature Readings:

Current temperature : 60.5 deg-C

CPU Temperature Readings:

Current temperature : 47.0 deg-C

Warning level.......: 85.0 deg-C

Shutdown level......: 90.0 deg-C

Thanks

TL

Occasional Contributor

Re: FCX Temperature Reading Inquiry

Update - I contacted Brocade Tech Support and they were unable to tell me what the MAC temperature referred to beyond 'an internal temperature indication'. I actually have access to a Brocade 'Premier Plus' support engineer and he indicated that it refers to air flow 'zones' (input/output) in the devices and changes per the device family.  I have never read that in any of the Brocade literature - and would love a MORE specific indicator!

*You specifically referenced a MAC 'chip' - that adds another target: CPU, MAC chip, air flow zones, 'memory'....

Frequent Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Im not exactly sure what the exact reference is here. It could be the ASIC on board or could be a sensor on the MAC chip. Let me check with someone in engineering and try to get an answer for you.

-Bill

New Contributor

I was just wondering if this has been answered.  I have several FCX stacks and a few stand alone FCX,  I notice this same behavior only on the stacks that have 7400 firmware.  I have rolled back a couple of stacks to an older firmware (7202e) so my log doesn't fill up in a day or two with automatic fan changing back and forth. 

Occasional Contributor

You can remove the logging for these events by adding the following line in the global config

no logging enable fan-speed-change

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook