Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Explanation For outage

Hi, a host provider not identified here gave me this explantion for an outage.  I am curious about your thoughts on this.  

Early yesterday morning, one of the core switches experienced a packet-flood event that impacted traffic flow in one of our data centers. Due largely in part to the network's redundant and multiple-path-option connections (designed specifically to mitigate a number of device failures), the problem was able to cascade beyond the single device that was the flood's origin.  Once the offending interface was identified, it was disconnected from the core and traffic normalized. It must be well understood that this event was an anomaly, and not the result of a misconfiguration, poor design, or any type of human intervention or error.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Explanation For outage

Hi kyletdooley,

Sorry the message is too generic to say.  That could mean anything )from a broadcast storm or loop at L2 to DDoS that was biggger then the mitegation).  The best you can do is ask for a root caurse inedent report.

Thanks
Michael
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the reply. To me it is a very poor RCA and we have had many issues with the provider.  The only additonal info I was able to get was the switch was a Foundry BigIron 8000.  I supsect that is way past support so that is all I have to fight them on.  

Frequent Contributor

You are correct, the bigiron 800 was around in about 2004 I think, would not of had code updates in a very long time I would think.   Not a Brocade issue so much as an ISP running way past the ROI on the device - but this is only a guess :)

Thanks
Michael
Frequent Contributor

A quick check on google and BI800 was around in at leat 2003.

Thanks
Michael
Occasional Contributor

From what I can find it came out in 1998.  Not sure how long it was sold or EOL on it. The code level was V 8 which I think was 2007.  I brought up your suggestion regarding independent RCA and they seemed to like it.   If this was a DDOS we need to know.  If it was because the vendor is using outdated equipment we need to deal with that.

Frequent Contributor

I wish you the best and hope you do get a good RCA.  

Thanks
Michael

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook