Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Emulators for Brocade

Anyone has come across any platform emulators for netiron/fastiron images. I am having hard time in preparing for BCNE exam without such emulators. All other vendors provide their version of emulators(Cisco has GNS3 and IOU, Juniper has some internet facing sandbox/GNS3/vmware images/JUNOShere) except for Brocade. It makes very hard to prepare and get hands on configuration practice for BCNE. Brocade made this certification very rewarding and provides good preparation material with CNE-250, CNE200, ETH 101,102 and 103 but it will only generate not qualified engineers who does not have good experience on Brocade CLI. Getting emulators available to public will create more interest in people about Brocade and thus may increase sales.

I know someone would reply to this post and say "contact your Brocade SE/AM to get access to real Brocade device" but hey what about someone who is not working or managing Brocade based network or an university/college students who does not have access to any Brocade deivce whatsoever and wanted to learn about Brocade CLI and get some hands on, there is no options available.

I tried my best to emulate Netiron CES images on gns3 or qemu etc but none of it supports Brocade. If anyone get sucess in emulating Brocade switches/rotuers please SHARE.

Super Contributor

Re: Emulators for Brocade

Hi krunal,

I have heard there is one, though I have never been able to find one.

I did start to make one, and was told Brocade was working on one, so stopped.  This was about two years ago.

For what it is worth mine is attached (does not do much though) - also it is just sim of the cli.

EDIT - file removed - see my next post.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you verymuch this is been a great help.

Super Contributor

Hi krunal,

Here is an updated version - I found the code form 2 years ago and did a little bit more.

However if anybody can provide a better emu or sim then please speak up and share.

Changes;

added skip-page-display

added page-display

added more show commands (and marked the ones as done that I had already done before)

confirmed hostname works and is reflected is the running config

fixed some bugs

NOTE: this does not even class as alpha software

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

Hi,

I have moved this into the following Wikis - http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-2416.

You will find that this has been updated again.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Michael you have done good job with simulator and your contribution to this community is exceptional.

But this is not end... Brocade should really provide their version of emulator which emulates Netiron/fastiron/bigiron software images on x86 platform. It will be a great help for students to prepare for certification, reduces labing time and cost for their training partners, helps their own customer to simulate and demostrate proof of concept for delploying large scale Brocade IP network.

Super Contributor

Hi krunal,

Firstly, thank you the kind words.

I also do beleive that Brocade should make one available, however I can understand the issues.

Most of the L2 and L3 code is base on hardware chips that do not exist in a PC or the like. The switches and routes mostly use PowerPC CPU - this of course can be emulated (see the Wii/GameCube (Dolphin) emulator for a very good example of a PowerPC emulation).  The ASIC's and FPGA's though are a different story.

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

Hi all,

Please check http://code.google.com/p/brocade-sim/downloads/list for latest version go forward.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

This is really cool. your version of emulator is very close to actual CLI.

BTW I got my BCNE.... Thanks to you and all your helpfull post I utilized then for certification.

Super Contributor

Hi krunal,

Congratulations on passing the BCNE - well done. The sim still needs a lot of work, but been tring to spend about 1 hour a day when possible. I do hope it will help other.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook