Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Disabling ports when an ethernet cable is unplugged

Is there anyway on a ICX6450 switch to disable a port when the network cable is unplugged? 

Brocadian

Re: Disabling ports when an ethernet cable is unplugged

For ICX6450, ports are enabled by default, as all devices in FastIron platform.

In enabled mode, if the link is connected and properly detecting link partner at the right speed-dulpex, the port will be UP/UP, otherwise it will be in DOWN/DOWN state and no connectivity between the two end devices thru this port.

Unplugged the ethernet cable from the port will still leave the port still in enable state, the port status will be DOWN/DOWN and the port will not go to Diabled unless the user configured  it via cli to disable the interface.

Occasional Contributor

I should of been more specific. I want the switch to automatically disable the port when the cable is unplugged. Then stay disabled until I manually enable it. 

Brocadian

In ICX6430/6450, as all FastIron switches/routers, the meanings of port DWN and DIS are unique.

when port  hardware is enable and no valid link, it is DWN, otherwise it is Up.

when port hardware is not enable, it is DISabled.

Unplugged the cable does not trigger the action to disable the port.

User has to specifically configure via cli to disable the port for it to go into DISabled state.

Occasional Contributor

Navigate to the interface and administratively disable it, it will stay disabled until you re-enable it.

- Jonathon

Brocade Consultant
Northeast Ohio
BCNE & BCNP

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook