Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

DHCPv6 Relay Question

Does anyone know what happened to the DHCPv6 Relay settings that used to be in 7.02 firmware? Did the function go away? I sure could use it right about now --

Robert

Occasional Contributor

Re: DHCPv6 Relay Question

Oops! mistyped the <enter> key -- I'm talking about on a FastIron SX1600-PREM switch running 7.0400b layer 3 firmware.

R

Super Contributor

Hmm, I cannot see anything in the config guide for DHCP relay for v6 - not listed in the IPv6 commands table.  So I do not believe it is supported.  Nothing in the release note either.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for answering -- I came to the same conclusions for the same reasons and spent a couple of days drilling the kbase before I posted the question -- the lack of backward compatibility in DHCPv6 presents particular difficulties for multi-purpose test labs like ours. I have a HUGE environment to manage (multiple test scopes, unique network spaces, mixed VMs and hardware,etc..) we're using a set of subnets in the RFC4193 “Unique Unicast” range and have manually assigned the infrastructure machine addresses (DCs, DNS, etc.) but manually assigning addresses to the test machine fleet is pretty much out of the question, as is letting them pick their own.  Any definitive info would be GREATLY apopreciated --

Still listening,

R

Super Contributor

Hi Robert,

I would suggest you open a TAC case if the function has been removed or talk to your local Brocade Rep asking them to put in a feature request.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Well, I finally got the real scoop (2 thumbs way up for the Brocade TAC guys -- fast, friendly and accurate )

"DHCP Relay Agent functionality is supported in the FastIron 7.3.00 code series and will again be supported in the 08.0.00 series of code when it is released.  It is not supported in any form in the 07.4.00 code string, nor is its functionality scheduled to be added."

IMHO a strange approach to a critical functionality for IPv6. The DHCP Relay Agent replaces the IPv4 IP Helper function, which allows DHCP services across different subnets. There are ways to exert some control over IPv6 unicast addresses subnet-by-subnet, but since support for the new RFC 6106 router advertisements option for DNS Recursive Server Addresses isn't even on the map yet there aren't any alternative ways to automate DNS server address assignment except via DHCPv6 and that requires a relay agent for each subnet. In my case, I have over 100 subnets to make IPv6-able, and the thought of having to either manually type all those addresses or ask my boss for more hardware is the stuff (bad) dreams are made of --

Robert

Super Contributor

Thanks Robert for sharing the info for everybody.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook