Ethernet Switches & Routers

Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

DHCP woes icx-6430 v8.030kT311

I have a icx-6430 stack with two vlans.  Hosts connected to any port are unable to obtain a DHCP lease from a Fortigate firewall.  The Fortigate has DHCP servers on each vlan.  If I connect the Fortigate to an HP ProCurve with the same vlan configuration, life is good and I can obtain a lease on either vlan by simply moving my cable.  If I use a static IP address on my host connected to any port the icx, life is good.

Currently the ICX has a lag to the HP ProCurve so I can play with the ICX without impacting production traffic.  The Fortinet is connected to the HP.

Fortinet - DHCP on vlan 1 and vlan 5

ICX:

!
stack unit 1
module 1 icx6430-24-port-management-module
module 2 icx6430-sfp-4port-4g-module
stack-port 1/2/1 1/2/3
stack unit 2
module 1 icx6430-24-port-management-module
module 2 icx6430-sfp-4port-4g-module
stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/3
stack enable
stack mac cc4e.24b3.0002
!

lag "Switch to Switch" dynamic id 2047
ports ethernet 1/1/24 ethernet 2/1/24
primary-port 1/1/24
lacp-timeout long
deploy
!

vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
no spanning-tree
!
vlan 5 name Staff by port
tagged ethe 1/1/24 ethe 2/1/24
untagged ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/12 ethe 2/1/1 to 2/1/12
no spanning-tree

!
interface ethernet 1/1/24
dual-mode

!

ip address 10.5.1.10 255.255.255.0
no ip dhcp-client enable
ip default-gateway 10.5.1.1

!

hitless-failover enable 

I also tried using dhcp-gateway list function as a troubleshooting step...no dice.  Disabled stp and rstp on both switches for troubleshooting.  Again, if I assign a static IP to my windows host, everything works fine.  I can ping the Brocade mgmt IP, firewall interface of each vlan, etc.  Thoughts?

Brocade Moderator

Re: DHCP woes icx-6430 v8.030kT311

Sounds like you need to raise this with Brocade Support, If the ICX is indeed dropping DHCP packets.

You may try to disable the Lag and run a single port (1/1/24) towards HP and see if this helps. Also disable dual-mode and test one vlan at a time.

Try to mirror traffic on port 1/1/24 and see which DHCP packets are being dropped, Discovery,Offer...etc.

This should help Isolate the issue further and make it easier for TAC to analyse.

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
New Contributor

I was able to work around the problem by changing the management vlan on the ICX and obandoning the use of vlan 1 altogether.  The other equipment had to be modified as well to accomplish this but it is working.  I fail to understand why using a static IP functions correctly on any vlan but DHCP does not, at least when dual-mode is in use.

By the way, I did open case 1706623 with TAC on 1/4/17 which they have not addressed in any meaningful way beyond requesting the output of "show tech".  Your post was more help than TAC, so thank you for the information.

Contributor

If you have (or find) a friendly local Brocade sales engineer, they can often help TAC get the right people on the case.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook