Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

DHCP Server Fast Iron Series

I have a need to setup DHCP for a small number of users at a remote location.  I know how to setup basic DHCP on the switch.  However, I need a couple of other options like, SNTP, Time offset, and option 160.  Is there a way to add these to the configuration, I have not had really good luck with the documentation.

Super Contributor

Re: DHCP Server Fast Iron Series

I am not sure what option 160 is, but a quick google seems to indicate that it uses a value that is of type text.

e.g.

option-160 "timeout=5:default=195"

below is from the manual for the FastIron.

Configure a vendor type and configuration value for a DHCP client

The vendor-class command specifies the vendor-type and configuration value for a DHCP client.

FastIron(config-dhcp-cabo)# vendor class ascii waikiki

Syntax: vendor-class <> <

value>

So if I am reading the manual right I do not see how it could work.

However try the below, you would need to add under the DHCP pool level

FastIron(config-dhcp-cabo)# vendor 160

ascii timeout=5:default=195

However if that is correct then the manual is wrong and needs updating

Thanks Michael.

New Contributor

I saw that however, my understanding is that a "class" is different than an "option"   I would like to be wrong about this so I can move forward.  However, I can not just experiment as I do not have one of these switches available that is not in production.

I have other switches from other mfgs that allow you to just create new options on the fly.  I guess that is what I was hoping to find.

Super Contributor

DHCP Server is a new feature to the FastIron's and there is not too much documentation around as yet. I would suggest to go through the TAC if you can not test it out.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook