Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Can I setup failover between two ISPs, on a FWS648G running layer 3 code?

I have a remote office that has an MPLS back to my main office. This MPLS is their only configured connection to the Internet now. I have a Comcast internet in the remote office that I would like to use as a backup Internet connection.

Right now the FWS648G is running layer 3 code and terminates the MPLS circuit. The current config of the FWS648G has one VLAN for the local LAN, and one VLAN for the ISP MPLS. There is a virtual interface in each VLAN, and routing is setup so the default route, routes everything over the MPLS to the main office. The FWS648G is configured to forward DHCP requests back to the main office with IP HELPER addresses to the DHCP server at the main office. 

The future setup should have the FWS648G setup with 3 VLANS, one for local LAN, one for ISP MPLS, and one for Comcast cable modem.

Is there a way to have the default route be through the MPLS, but if it's down have the Comcast be the default route?

I have been Googling this all morning trying to figure out how to do this. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be very appreciated. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Can I setup failover between two ISPs, on a FWS648G running layer 3 code?

Try Googling "floating static route."  Then test to see whether/how it works on your box.  I'm guessing that the primary link would have to be COMPLETELY down for it to fail over.  Badly degraded may not count.

Contributor

I looked it up. Then I tried to impliment it on my box, but it doesn't take two default routes. Even though I give the secondary ISP a route of:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ISP2gatewayIP> 1 distance 240

When I hit return I get no error.

When I do a "show ip route", the secondary default route does not show up. I only see:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ISP1gatewayIP> 1

Any other thoughts from the group?

Contributor

Can I do this somehow using RIP?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook