Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Brocade MRP cohabit with STP

Hi,
We are deploying a network using Brocade MRP (Metro Ring Protocol) and STP (in this case Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol-802.1W). The problem is that in some networking segment, we must enable both of protocols in the same interfaces and vlans for the correct function of our network. By the way, as MRP and STP are 2 protocols of loop prevention, the devices of Brocade force us choosing and activating just one among them that not our intention.
Anybody has the same situation of some experiences in this case: how to make coexist these two protocols (MRP and STP).

Best thanks,
Viet Ton.
Contributor

Re: Brocade MRP cohabit with STP

Hi Viet,

As far as I know you are not able to enable stp on a vlan which is in a topology group for MRP ring. The thing you may try to tag these ring node ports on that vlan. but you need to be sure this vlan is not in the topology group of that ring. Another thing you should consider about: if the ring has more than 7 nodes that vlan may fail since STP supports up to 7 node in a ring/bus topology.

Hope this helps,

Serhat

New Contributor

Hi Serhat,

Thanks for your response, but the problem is that our STP is Rapid STP, that runs based on the interface, and MRP runs based on VLAN.

Anybody know how to activate MRP function in the level of interface (block all in one interface like signle STP) and at the same time, operate with STP?

Thanks for your helps.

Viet.

Contributor

Hi Viet,

MRP also runs based on interface.

Untitled.jpg

As you can see above we are adding vlans in the topology group under ring configuration and it is not possible to enable any kind of spanning tree protocol on these vlans. Currently I do not have a lab to test it but  you can try creating another vlan which is not defined under topology group and you can try enabling STP for that vlan only. Please be sure you have correct configuration  on each node of your ring in terms of interfaces, topology group and vlans since these mismatches may create loops.

Thanks,

Serhat

New Contributor

Hi Serhat,

Thanks for your helps. As I mentionned, our problem is that RSTP doesn't function per-Vlan based but interface-based (it means if you block an interface in RSTP, you'll block all traffic to and from that interface).

Which you mentionned run well if our STP is also per-Vlan based.

So, do you know or hear about that we can activate MRP that block all vlan in one port, not just Vlans?

Thanks alot once more,

Viet.

Contributor

Hi Viet,

Sorry for late reply. I didnt have chance to test your question but what I know is you can not enable any kind of STP on a vlan which is under a topology group belongs to your mrp configuration. What you can try is to tag another seperate vlan on this mrp interface and set MSTP for it.
Please let me know if this one works.

Thanks,

Serhat

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook