Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Brocade DCB VDX 6746 10GB SFP + SR auto negotiating to 1GB

Hi All,

I want to ask about 10GB SFP+ in Brocade VDX 6746 that embeeded in Hitachi compute blade 500 (CB 500),

is 10Gb SFP+  SR in DCB VDX 6746 can auto negotiating to 1Gb?

can we use it for 1Gb links?

Because existing core network still support 1Gb

Thanks & Regards,

Occasional Contributor

Re: Brocade DCB VDX 6746 10GB SFP + SR auto negotiating to 1GB

I did a quick search on the product you listed, and it appears as though it will support 1G speeds (http://www.hds.clientmessaging.com/InnovationMonthly_nov12_news_fact28NA.html). However, I do not believe the 10G SFP+ you are talking about will negotiate to 1G. Unless you bought a special SFP, I believe the optics use hardware ASICs (I read this on a Cisco forum), and cannot be configured by software/firmware on the switch. I know the 10G SFP+ we use will not do 1G.

I would contact your Hitachi and/or Brocade vendor or support and ask them if it is possible, but my first thought on this would be no. It sounds like the slots will support 1G SFP/SFP+ though, so if you have any vendor-approved SFPs laying around you might try that until you can upgrade the other end to 10G.

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

Hi GB_KIR,

Thanks for the explain it to me, so I have to replace the 10G SFP+ with 1G SFP+ right?
is there any problem if the other SFP + is from CICSO?

Occasional Contributor

Hello bairuni. I would double-check with your vendor to make sure what I recommended is correct, or wait for a certified Brocade support forum rep to confirm. I'd hate for you to buy something based on what I told you that might not be correct (I have no hands-on experience with your product, just SFPs in general).

As for the Cisco SFP(+), I can tell you from experience that when we tried testing a Cisco SFP in our Brocade equipment, not only would it not be covered under warranty, but the port actually shut down after powering it up. Chances are even in testing the Cisco optics won't work (this was on an MLXe-4, not the unit you have, so you may experience different results). We tested one from HP I believe (or HP compatible) and that one worked, but again, is not covered under warranty.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook