Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Basic BGP and Static routing question

I currently have an MPLS connection set up between my remote networks with BGP handling the routes between. I'm trying to set up a secondary fail-over connection to be handled by a VPN connection set up on my firewall. I'm having some trouble that makes me doubt I understand how the Brocade routing works.

As a test I set up a static route to the firewall (/32) but no matter what distance I set on it the static route is always used. I need the BGP route to be used by default, only failing over when BGP disappears. How do I go about troublshooting this?

Brocade Moderator

Re: Basic BGP and Static routing question

Do you have a /32 BGP route that matches the prefix exactly? If BGP is only advertising a /24 of which the /32 is a part then the /32 will always appear as Brocade and other routers always match against the longest prefix.

When you have set the distance, are you definitely setting the distance and not cost?

For example

ip route 1.1.1.1/32 10.10.10.10 distance 220

Can you share the relevant snippets from the bgp route table and ip route table

New Contributor

Thanks for the help. I'd like to continue to troubleshoot against a single IP if possible to keep my risk down. Then reconfigure for the full network.

The only routes I'm advertising through BGP are /24. And yes the /32 is part of the /24.

sh run | begin ip route

ip route (network-A.240) 255.255.255.255 (network-B firewall IP) distance 205

sh ip route

2       (network-A.240)       255.255.255.255 (network-B firewall IP)    v10        1      S

sh ip bgp

network-A/24        10.254.254.5                100    0      AS AS ?

Brocade Moderator

If you want to troubleshoot for just the /32 then you are going to have to advertise the /32 within BGP otherwise the router will always prefer the /32 static route over the /24 BGP route.  If these routes are advertised over the Internet then your /32 may get filtered by transit/service provider.

Occasional Visitor

The possible way out is contact the service provider for the routing issue. When I had such problem I got the solution from my service provider at Local Business Phone service Alexandria, VA as I am using there service.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.