Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

BGP

Hi,

We want to use ICX 7750 for BGP routing with two ISPs. Did anyone use or try it? 

Thanx

Brocade Moderator

Re: BGP

Hello,

This shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the ICX 7750 does not have the capacity to handle full table.  Would this impact your use case?

Steve

Occasional Contributor

Hi Steve,

Firstly thanks for reply. We are end point of BGP so our route table have one default route to our two ISPs. Is there a problem ?

Mesut.

Contributor

With only a default route,  it will run fine. There will be no cpu time wasted for incoming bgp updates and your RIB & FIB will be relieved. 

Regards
Jörg Kost
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I checked our routers and I run "show route" command it has a one default route to ISPs but I run "show route all" command it has 50000 routes. Is it a big problem for ICX 7750's CPU. If it is a big problem, what suggestion for us? We dont want to buy routers and people dont suggest to use Firewall for BGP.

Thanks for reply and Best Regards

Mesut.

Contributor

What is the origin protocol (BGP, OSPF,..?) of these routes? 

Regards
Jörg Kost
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Origin protocol is BGP.

Regards,

Mesut.

Contributor

If these routes are coming from the same ISP and E-BGP that will also send you a default route and there is no different next_hop_address,  you could kindly ask for suppression of these 50k routes. Additionally,  you could install a BGP prefix filter yourself, that will block all routes except the default one.

The ICX data sheet is suggesting that the maximum routes of 122k BGP routes work with shared memory. Therefore running with 50k BGP routes COULD be fine, but also COULD limit your ability e.g. to install large filter lists or to use other router protocols that depend on the same shared memory.

I do not think that the CPU will be a factor. With 50k BGP routes, there won't be so many updates or recalculation. 

Regards
Jörg Kost
Brocade Moderator

The max BGP routes that Joerg mentions is the FIB (hardware programmed for forwarding).  In terms of RIB the ICX should be OK up to about 1M routes.  This is the number of non-unique routes that the BGP process can deal with.  So the ICX should be able to process 50k BGP routes without too much of a problem, but it's wise to be cautious.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for informations.  Yes, routes are coming from the same ISP and i will ask them to send us only default route. it will be good for us. And we wont use these switch fonly BGP routing. Also I ask another question, Our ISPs want to allow asymmetric traffic for L3 device. ICX 7750 series could it.

Best Regards,

Mesut.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.