Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

2x FCX624S with multiple LACP trunks - are they suitable for us ?

Hi all,

We're looking around for a pair of switches to connect our voip servers to (so main traffic will be SIP and RTP). We need everything to be fully redundant - so each server- but also an entire switch must be able to fail without any service interruption (or at least very short).

Our plan is to start with 8 servers, where each machine connects to the stack via 2 gige links (1 to each physical switch) configured in an LACP trunk. On top of each LACP trunk we want to do vlan tagging.

- Spec sheet pdf states "single-link LACP". What does that mean ? (I hope it doesn't mean only a single LACP trunk is possible?)

- Spec sheet pdf states that 32 trunk groups can be configured, does this mean 32 LACP trunks are possible per switch / stack ?

- Is it possible to spread members of an LACP trunk over different switches in a single stack ?

- Can we do VLAN's over the LACP trunks ?

So in short, is it possible what we want with the FCX624S switches ?

One other thing, would you advise the 624S or 624 model for our use ? The switches will obviously go into a datacenter, but from what I understand, the 624S model has 16Gbps Stack ports while the 624 uses 10Gbe for stacking. In the latter (10Gbe) case, are the stacked switches still seen as a single logical switch ? (So is LACP with members on separate switches in a single stack still possible - if at all ?)

Thanks a lot & kind regards,

Leon de Rooij

Super Contributor

Re: 2x FCX624S with multiple LACP trunks - are they suitable for us ?

Hi Leon,

- Spec sheet pdf states "single-link LACP". What does that mean ? (I hope it doesn't mean only a single LACP trunk is possible?)

Answer : Single link LACP for when you want to use the LACP protocol for one port only.LACP can detect failurs better and offers extra controll.

- Spec sheet pdf states that 32 trunk groups can be configured, does this mean 32 LACP trunks are possible per switch / stack ?

Answer : Yes 32 per switch OR per stack

- Is it possible to spread members of an LACP trunk over different switches in a single stack ?

Anwer : Yes

- Can we do VLAN's over the LACP trunks ?

Answer : Yes

One other thing, would you advise the 624S or 624 model for our use ?

Answer : Suggest the 624S

The switches will obviously go into a datacenter, but from what I understand, the 624S model has 16Gbps Stack ports while the 624 uses 10Gbe for stacking. In the latter (10Gbe) case, are the stacked switches still seen as a single logical switch ? (So is LACP with members on separate switches in a single stack still possible - if at all ?)

Answer : Yes seen as a single switch.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

Re: 2x FCX624S with multiple LACP trunks - are they suitable for us ?

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot, that's everything I wanted to know. We'll order a pair of the 624S switches for testing.

Kind regards,

Leon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook