Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

vdx 6710 VLAN

Hi there,

I am not able to create any VLAN on VDX 6710.

Secondly how to convert the VDX to standalone mode so that it can work as a layer 2 switch.

Regards,

farz

Frequent Contributor

Re: vdx 6710 VLAN

User the interface vlan command to configure a VLAN on the VDX6710 .

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NOS_CLI_301/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=commands_a_z.4.168.htm

Use the no vcs enable command to disable the VCS mode and have the switch operate in standalone mode , command usage guidelines are as below for your reference :

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NOS_CLI_301/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=commands_a_z.4.711.html

Hope this helps.

-Annie.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Annie,

its a layer 2 switch so interface vlan will not work on it,

It does not have any command like in other layer 2 switches.

Faiz

Occasional Contributor

Also the O/S is 2.1.1

Super Contributor

Faiz, what is the definition of "other"?  Are you saying "other" brocade switches?  "other" Cisco switches?  Also, if you could include some detail explain what lead up to the inability to create a VLAN as well as any error messages or messages in general that would help.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

Dear Mike, All access switches have the same way to create a vlan through "vlan" command, But in Brocade 6710 (2.1.1) switch i could not find this command.

Frequent Contributor

Faiz , do you mean other Brocade IP access switches  like our Fastiron switches or the Netiron boxes ?

As per the NOS 2.1.1 Admin Guide the interface vlan command should work for the layer 2 VDX switch also .

Creating a VLAN interface

On Brocade VDX hardware, VLANs are treated as interfaces from a configuration point of view.

By default all the DCB ports are assigned to VLAN 1 (VLAN ID equals 1). The vlan_ID value can be 1

through 3583. VLAN IDs 3584 through 4094 are internally-reserved VLAN IDs.

To create a VLAN interface, perform the following steps from privileged EXEC mode.

1. Enter the configure terminal command to access global configuration mode.

2. Enter the interface vlan command to assign the VLAN interface number.

switch(config)#interface vlan 1010

Are you in the config mode ? Do you atleast see the interface as the next option ? Is there an error message you get when trying to run the command ?

Just want to understand the issue so we can help .

Occasional Contributor

i am referring to fastiron switch.

I will check this option tomorrow as switch is not with me right now, please also let me know that if i create vlan through "interface vlan 10" command, i can configure it inside interface command "switchport access vlan 10".

Actually i have only one switch so I want to use it as any other access switch.

thanks again.

Frequent Contributor

So yes the CLI commands are different since the Fastiron runs a different OS vs the VDX switches . Refer to the Admin Guide and the Command Reference Guide for details on  the commands .

The switchportaccess vlan command should work once you are on the interface . Good luck .

-Annie.

Occasional Contributor

Dear Annie,

I got the following error while try to configure vlan.

VDX6710(config)# inter vlan 10

%INFO : This command is not yet available. Please try again after sometime.

Asim

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook