Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor

vcs cluster doesn't form

We have 2 VDX 6720-24 switches running NOS 3.0.1b.  Set up 1 switch as rbridge-id 10, another as 11 and set vcsid at 11.  The 2 switches are connected via 2 10gbe ports.  When I type "show fabric isl" and "show fabric islports" it shows the ISL ports as up.  But, when I type "show vcs" or "show vcs detail" both switches say Total NUmber of Nodes:  1.  The primary switch, rbridge-id 10, every so often will say "Cluster formatin is in progress..." when I type "show vcs".  I've been able to set a vcs virtual ip and login to the main switch with that, but it still never adds the 2nd switch to the cluster.  I am new to this, but I've read and re-read the admin guide and tried some things I found in this forum and even tried starting over from the default config.  I did read somewhere that it looks for the vcs enable somewhere, can't remember where it said it looks for that, but it does not show vcs enable anywhere in either of the running-configs.  The only vcs item I can find in the running-config is the virtual ip on the primary switch.  Do I need to manually add this to the running-config?  Anyway, anyone know what I may be missing?

Thanks.

Brocadian

Re: vcs cluster doesn't form

hi;

i think you might be missing the vcs enable command.....

the switches will auto form the fabric once this command is issues, and both switches have same VCS id...

Configuring a Brocade VCS Fabric

Refer to the following tables for commands and examples used in configuring a Brocade VCS Fabric.

For command details, refer to the Network OS Command Reference.

The following lists command examples for enabling Brocade VCS logical chassis cluster mode:

TABLE 14 Command examples for enabling logical chassis cluster mode

Command Command Behavior

switch# vcs logical-chassis enable The VCS ID becomes the default

value of 1, the RBridge ID is not

changed, and Brocade VCS

logical chassis cluster mode is

enabled.

switch# vcs vcsid 22 rbridge-id 15 logical-chassis enable The VCS ID is changed to 22,

the RBridge ID is changed to 15,

and Brocade VCS logical chassis

cluster mode is enabled.

switch# vcs vcsid 11 logical-chassis enable The VCS ID is changed to 11,

the RBridge ID is not changed,

and Brocade VCS logical chassis

cluster mode is enabled.

switch# vcs rbridge-id 6 logical-chassis enable The VCS ID becomes the default

value of 1, the RBridge ID is

changed to 6 , and Brocade VCS

logical chassis cluster mode is

enabled.

RBridge ID allocation

128 Network OS Administrator’s Guide

53-1003116-01

The following lists command examples for enabling Brocade VCS fabric cluster mode:

TABLE 15 Command examples for enabling fabric cluster mode

Command Command Behavior

switch# vcs enable The VCS ID becomes 1, the

RBridge ID is not changed, and

Brocade VCS fabric cluster mode

is enabled.

switch# vcs vcsid 55 rbridge-id 19 enable The VCS ID is changed to 55 ,

the RBridge ID is changed to 19,

and Brocade VCS fabric cluster

mode is enabled.

switch# vcs vcsid 73 enable The VCS ID is changed to the

value of 73 , the RBridge ID is not

changed, and Brocade VCS

fabric cluster mode is enabled.

switch# vcs rbridge-id 10 enable The VCS ID becomes the default

value 1, the RBridge ID is

changed to 10, and Brocade VCS

fabric cluster mode is enabled.

The following lists command examples for switches that are already in either fabric cluster mode or

logical chassis cluster mode.

TABLE 16 Command examples for when one of the VCS modes is already enabled:

Command Command Behavior

switch# vcs vcsid 44 rbridge-id 22 The VCS ID is changed to 44 and

the RBridge ID is changed to 22.

switch# vcs vcsid 34 The VCS ID is changed to 34.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  When i try "vcs vcsid 12 enable", it says "%Error:  Cannot run this operation since VCS is already enabled.  Try the command without the enable option set."  I've tried disabling vcs, and re-enabling on both switches multiple times, but cluster never seems to form.  I got a ticket open with Brocade support.  Maybe they can help me.

New Contributor

The problem ended up being the cables I used to form the ISLs.  I guess the term is passive direct attached cables.  You don't want to use those with the Brocade VDX switches.  Use the Brocade direct attached cables to be on the safe side.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook