Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

switch management inside the vcs

Hi,

I have a bunch of VDX6710 switches. They are configured for two independent fabrics, vcs-1 and vcs-2. This all works nicely. All switches are running NOS 2.1.1 and have the vcs license installed.

Now I am trying to manage my fabrics from the management port of a vcs member, let's say from rbridge 1. However, I am not able to access any other rbridge from this particular management port, neither to queuery nor to set any parameters.

There is an "rbridge" command in configure mode that - from what I understand - should allow me to select any rbridge inside the vcs for configuration, but I always end up with this error message:

core-01(config)# rbridge-id 3
%Error: Rbridge does not exist.

Same for any queueries, e.g.

core-01# show ntp status rbridge-id 3
Specified rbridge-id is invalid (rbridge-id 3)

But obviously there is clearly an rbridge-3 in this vcs:

core-01# show vcs
Config Mode    : Local-Only
VCS ID         : 1
Total Number of Nodes           : 3
Rbridge-Id       WWN                            Management IP   Status          HostName
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1               >10:00:00:05:33:BD:0E:28*       10.2.3.150      Online         core-01
3                 10:00:00:05:33:BF:88:39         10.2.3.152      Online          core-02
5                 10:00:00:05:33:BF:91:5D        10.2.9.150      Online          core-03

Am I doing something wrong???

The "Local-Only" Config Mode looks suspicious to me, but I can not figure out how to change that...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Frequent Contributor

Re: switch management inside the vcs

Hi.

There is no single IP cluster management feature available for VDX/VCS so far.

The release has been delayed to...??? Only Brocade knows!

You have to access and manage each single VDX via its own outband management port.

An inband IP management for a VDX/VCS cluster is also not available now. Might be there end 2012.

Inband IP management is only available in standalone mode.

Well.... I agree... no good strategy.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Occasional Contributor

Wow, that's a quick reply! Thanks much for your answer, KarlM.

Too bad this feature is not yet implemented, although the command seems to be in place and the documentation describes it...

Let's hope Brocade gets this feature implemented soon.

Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor

You are very welcome.....

I am not expecting this in 2012. :-(

But who knows... only Brocade knows exactly.

Have a good time & Cheers

Karl

Occasional Contributor

What t.. f.. - not even inband IP management in VCS mode so far??!! Then I will run into major problems with my new setup which is currently in development :-(.

Frequent Contributor

Well well... what should I say.... I am not working for Brocade.

But I am the same opinion like you.

Maybe you could give your local Brocade SE a call and give additional push.

As more customers give a push maybe Brocade will recognize?

We have a dream ;-)

Super Contributor

Hi all,

Karl please define what you mean by inband management here pleae.

As far as I know you can via inband, SSH to each switch and configure the switch and port profiles will if configured on one switch copy over to all switches in the cluster (The only part of single cluster management impletemented so far).  Of couse as Karl has pointed out that there is no one CLI on any box to rule them all, and Karl has stated that this has been delayed till next year (only Brocade staff could confirm or deny that - I do not work for Brocade).

Hope this helps to clear up some confussion.

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

I do indeed dream of the 2009 promise of one single CLI/GUI to manage the cluster....... Brocade are you listering....... DO IT......

AND replace FSPF with IS-IS as per the standard and be the first to market a true TRILL standards based frabic with the best ISL on the planet.  Come on....

Frequent Contributor

Hi all.

>>Karl please define what you mean by inband management here please.

I mean to telnet or SSH from any station in a certain (mgmt) VLAN in the local network to an IP address locally configured on a "interface vlan x" in the running config of a VDX in a VCS fabric cluster.

Manual:

Inband Management on the Brocade VDX 6710, the VDX 6720, and the VDX 6730-32/76 switches

allows a management station to communicate with the CP through Layer 3-enabled front-end

Ethernet ports.

NOTE

You can only configure the Inband Management interface if the switch is in standalone mode.

Cheers

Karl

switch#

configure terminal

Entering configuration mode terminal

switch(config)#

interface Vlan 2

switch(config-Vlan-2)#

ip address 1.1.1.1/24

Frequent Contributor

Hello Brocade,

it would be highly appreciated when someone would give us any information or any feedback on this too!!??!!

Thank you very much,

Karl

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook