Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

a question on NPIV

Can someone tell me wether brocade 8000 switch interface configured for FCOE which inturn uses cee map for PFC and bandwidth will support NPIV or not.

Thanks,

Manju

Valued Contributor

Re: a question on NPIV

I'm not sure that I've understood your question, but the B8000 does support NPIV and from the Fabric's point of view, CNA's connected to the B8000 will be assigned an NPIV FCID. Said differently, the B8000 behaves like an switch in Access Gateway mode as far as FC traffic is concerned.

Occasional Contributor

Let me explain my qusetion in detail, I am working on IBM blades which have FCOE CNAs in them and FCOE interface of these CNA are mapped to one single interface in IO module that can be found in blade chasis and this IO module interface is connected to B8000 switch, so virtually all my FCOE interfaces of different blades are connected to one single interface of B8000, however out of all these FCOE interfaces only one is able to acquire FCID and others not. Since multiple FCOE interfces are connected single interface of B8000 and its not working, i got doubt wether NPIV is really supported on B8000 interface when its configured for FCOE, i checked the interfece with portcfg command and it says that NPIV capability is ON. Meanwhile what made me supsecting B8000 is that when same interface of IO module connected to cisco Nexus 5000, all FCOE interfaces of different blades could acquire FCIDs, hence i believe that there is no wrong from CNA/IO module side. It can be something that i am missing from B8000 side.

Regards,

Manju

Valued Contributor

To summarize, you want the B8000's CEEport (the one going to the blade IO module) to support NPIV, right?

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I should be able to see all the CNA of my blades performing flogi in the switch.

Occasional Contributor

is there anything that you can help me over this ?

Retired-Super Contributor

I checked with a brocade system engineer about this question.  Here is a paraphrase of the reply I got.

"This is not supported. The CNAs have to be directly connected to the Brocade 8000. On the Brocade 8000 we do not support FCoE traffic traversing another switch before it reaches the 8000. We support a single FLOGI into a DCB/CEE port."

I hope this helps.

Retired-Super Contributor

One further clarification.  The Brocade 8470 embedded switch module for IBM Blade Servers has similar features to the Brocade 8000 Top of Rack swtich.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/8470_Switch_Module_DS.pdf

The 8470 is commonly used for converged networking (IP + FCoE) configurations with IBM blade servers and supports NPIV on the Fiber Channel ports.

I hope this also helps.

Frequent Contributor

Hello Brook, hello all,

is the VDX67xx supporting this FCoE topology with Multiple FLOGI on a single DCB/FCoE 10G Port?

Thank you,

Karl

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook