Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

VDX6740 Stacking

We are looking at buying 2 x VDX6740T and a VDX6740.

Firstly is it possible to put these all in one fabric?

What licenses would we need to stack with the 40GB QSFP ports?

Brocade Moderator

Re: VDX6740 Stacking

Hello,

Please find the answers to ur questions below

Firstly is it possible to put these all in one fabric?

Yes making sure that they all:

1) Run the Same NOS Code.

2) Run the Same Fabric Mode.

3) Have the same VCS ID.

4) Each switch has a Unique Rbridge ID. 

What licenses would we need to stack with the 40GB QSFP ports?

For 6740 and 6740T: You need a 40G licence which comes in two flavours:

1) 1X2-40G (To enable 2 ports at a time)

2) 1X4-40G(To enable all 4 ports in one go)

For 6740T-1G: Switch base licence includes Two 40GB ports. an extra 1X2-40GB licence can be purchased to enable the two remaining ports

Hopefully this helps addressing your concerns

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info.

One last question - How would I connect the 3 VDX's together using the 40G ports? Do I daisy chain from the top down and then the last one connects back to the top one?

Brocade Moderator

You sure can. This way You'll have redundancy in the fabric should you lose one arm in the chain.

Regards,
Os
Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.