Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

VDX6730 - in-band management (newbe)

Given:

HW: VDX 6730 in VCS mode.

NOS:  show sys | incl NOS

NOS Version                   : 3.0.1

Task:

Configure in-band management on VLAN ID 1 for a VDX which has only 1(one) active 10GbE Port ( int te 2/0/5) and the Mgmt Port as well as a dedicated VLAN can not be used right now. So we are stuck to the default vlan 1 .

According: http://community.brocade.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/3044-102-4-7221/BrocadeVCSFabric-TestCases_V1-0_2013-02-27_FINAL.pdf

Section: 9.3.2 Configure In-band Management via Physical Interface the following logic should be applied.

conf t

int te x/y/z

ip address a/b

ip mtu 1200

ip arp-ageing-timeout 300

do clear arp no-refresh

ip proxy-arp

exit

Question:

Does the "ip mtu 1200" means that all packets going through this port and larger as 1200 will be fragmented ? Pretty bad on a 10GbE link.

Does the "ip mtu 1200" is even necessary ? And if yes , why ?

tia

Hajo

Contributor

Re: VDX6730 - in-band management (newbe)

Hi,

what i can say that the default on access (edge) ports is currently "mtu 2500" - and in your example config all frames get fragmented that are larger than those MTU. I don't know the reason because there is only management-traffic on this port and it is not nessecary. If you don't wanna spend a 10G port only for Management i prefer the 1g mangement port like that:

interface Management 1/0

no ip address dhcp

ip address x.x.x.x/x

ip gateway-address 0.0.0.0

no ipv6 address dhcp

no ipv6 address autoconfig

and maybe a route under the rbridge-id 1.

All in VCS Mode.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dennis,

thx for answering. My current solution is:

• The management port gets connected via a cable to a 10GbE Port ( 1GbE Copper @ port x/0/24 ).
    • conf t
    • int te <rbridge>/0/24
    • switchport
    • exit
    • exit
  • The management ports get configured
    • conf t
    • int ma <rbridge>/0
    • no ip address dhcp
    • ip address <IP>/16
    • exit
    • exit

Note:

I tried to use  VLAN 1 by creating a virtual interface Ve to access the management port but it does not work.

Answer from brocade support:

Problem:

vdx6730-3(config-rbridge-id-3)# interface Ve 1

%Error: Creating Ve interface with default vlan ID is not allowed

Answer:

This is the designed behavior of NOS 3.0.1 code. A feature request has been requested to add this functionality and is tentatively scheduled for NOS 4.0.1 code. You can use DEFECT000440702 for your reference.

thx again.

Hajo

Contributor

Hey,

thanks for that feedback. The most that came from the other big company do not like to use vlan 1 :-) so maybe that 3.x engineer also or maybe he comes from there

Yours

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook