Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor

VDX and Cisco Interconnectivity

We're just ramping up our VDX installation and so far it's going well.  We've got 2 6720s with the FCoE license.  They're connected to our SAN and I can see FCoE logins from the SAN so that part is working well.  As expected,  the two switches are connected via ISL seamlessly,  right straight out of the box,  and are in one fabric.  On the FCoE side we're basically configured just like a standard FC installation with redundancy and interconnections from each device (SAN, server, etc).

We also have IP connectivity out to a Cisco 2960G using a 1Gb SFP and the appropriate switch/trunk commands on the switch.  That's to a single Cisco switch though.  To carry out the idea of redundancy I'd like to connect the fabric to a second Cisco switch using a port on the second switch in the fabric.  Can I simply configure it for switch/trunking like I did on the first one and connect it to the Cisco switch and let STP take care of connectivity at that point or is there a better way to do it?   The two Cisco switches are not stacked but are trunked together via an intermediate switch (think multiple top of rack switches connected to an end of row switch).

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: VDX and Cisco Interconnectivity

Hi Terry,

Yes to can connect it up that way - STP will disable the loop (so long as you are running the same type of STP everywhere).  This would be you only option as I do not think that Cisco boxes supports MCT/VLAG/vPC/VSS.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Re: VDX and Cisco Interconnectivity

Thanks Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook