Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to telnet or SSH to VDX 6740 - NOS 5.0.1a

I've just deployed a couple of VDX 6740s and upgraded the software to 5.0.1a.  However, I am unable to sucessfully get in-band management working (using a publicly assigned address on a VE interface) - I can ping the address, but telnet and SSH refuses the connection immediately as if the service isn't running.  A 'show ssh servers status rbridge-id all' and 'show telnet server status rbridge-id all' show both services enabled on both switches.  

I have another VDX fabric elsewhere in our network running 4.1 which is working fine and I can't see the difference.  I thought it might have been my ACL which I've applied to the VE interface, but even when I remove the ACL from the interface it still doesn't work.  In fact, if I have the ACL applied and try to connect from a non-allowed IP address, it times out rather than gets a connection refused which indicates the ACL is doing its job.

Are there any differences in 5.x software that might affect what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance,

Mark J.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to telnet or SSH to VDX 6740 - NOS 5.0.1a

Never mind.  Just after I posted this I saw the same question recently asked by someone else.  The answer is with the mgmt-vrf configuration requirement for in-band management.  Not looking forward to upgrading to 5.0 on the live switches now.

MJ

Re: Unable to telnet or SSH to VDX 6740 - NOS 5.0.1a

So, I got around this by plugging in the management interface to the vlan that I want to manage from and then assigning the management port an IP address in that VLAN.

Kind of a pain and ties up an extra port, but it is more secure.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook