Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

Twinax compatibility between brocade vdx and Cisco

Has anyone done so yet ?  I am using twinax cable for connection between the two switches. 

I have brocade twinax cable, which Cisco doesn't like it, then I switch to a Cisco cable, then Brocade doesn't like it to, then how am I suppose to form a connection between the two.  Anyone got any experience ? thanks!

Contributor

Re: Twinax compatibility between brocade vdx and Cisco

Which Cisco models you will use ?

We used third party twinax cables. They was specially prepared to works with Brocade and Cisco at one time.

I also used genuine Brocade Active Twinax cables for connectivity to Cat3750/Cat4500-X SFP+ ports. On Cisco side I have to setup 'service unsupported-transceiver'.

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I've been there, tried to find a third party supplier that could manufacture "close to originals" active DACs for VDX product line and it's been a show stopper for most of them.

Only solution for this to work between a Brocade gear and Cisco gear is to use active DACs as :

- Brocade only accepts active,

- Cisco accepts both active and passive,

We have some LAGs with between VDX6730 and Nexus 5548 working like that. No sweat.

If someone else has a different experience, I would love to hear about it.

My 2 cents.

Contributor

Brocade also accepts passive Twinax, but it have be proper 'blessed'.

About third party - in EMEA it's not problem at all.

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Could you be more specific pls ? I would love to hear about it.

Y.

Contributor

Proper blessed means proper manufacted and prepared by your third party supplier. We have good source. I can share, just give me your e-mail as I would do that off-list.

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

ybzahr@prodware.fr

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

In the US the only twinax that will work is Active twinax cabling. 

I have many customers uplinking Cisco and Brocade products through Brocade's active twinax cables.

- Jonathon

Brocade Consultant
Northeast Ohio
BCNE & BCNP
Contributor

Brocade only supports active cables and sell up to 5M (10g,40g). Cisco Supports both and sells up to 5M only passiv and 7 and 10M active (10g,40g). I would prefer one of both vendors because if there are any issues in the cabeling with 10g or 40g you would crash some packets in special enviroments  f.e. in a dc or core enviroment. Currently i dunno why Brocade won't sell 7 and 10 Meters - maybe they use other chips that have more issues on those length .. or marketing..  who knows ^^ :-)

Brocadian

We recently released 7m and 10m active optical cables. These are currently qualified to use with VDX and MLXe.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/brocade-10gbps-sfp-optical-cables.pdf

Thanks

Sharan

Systems Engineer, Brocade

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook