description -=TO 6610=-
 switchport
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk allowed vlan add 10-20
 switchport trunk tag native-vlan
 spanning-tree shutdown
 no shutdown
!

The management interface is connected to 6610 (VLAN 20) and the lag between 6610 and VDX is up and running. I can access the swtich via management port without any problems. Other tagged VLANs are working fine too.

The moment I disconnect the cable from the management port I'm no longer able to access 192.168.0.12. Anything missed in the configuration? 

Another question: is there any way in VDX to setup cron/scheduled jobs? For example, backup of the config to FTP?

Thank you.

Brocadian

Re: Management IP

From your config Man 12/0 is in the mgmt-vrf. The mgmt-vrf has a default route on the 192.168.0.0 subnet. From the config fragment that you're showing, the only way back out is via Man 12/0, so if it's not connected then no path out.

Steve

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Steve Day wrote:

From your config Man 12/0 is in the mgmt-vrf. The mgmt-vrf has a default route on the 192.168.0.0 subnet. From the config fragment that you're showing, the only way back out is via Man 12/0, so if it's not connected then no path out.

Thanks Steve.

So how do you access switches once the fabric is formed? Aren't management interface supposed to be handled by the trunk between the fabric and the rest of the network? Or I have to modify 0.0.0.0/0 route to go via Port-channel 10 (which is the link between VDX and the rest of the network in my case)?

Brocadian

I think I need to understand how you plan to do your fabric management. Broadly speaking there are two approaches, with variants:

1. Logical Chassis Management. The whole fabric is treated as a single management entity, and is the preferred approach. I suggest using out-of-band access i.e. into the management ethernet port of the principal switch such as Man 12/0 in your case, or into the console port albeit no SNMP nor sFlow there. In-band access via one of the edge ports is possible too.
  2. Fabric Chassis mode. With this mode, the switches are managed individually although there is still a whole fabric. Again I suggest out-of-band access but this time to the management ethernet port of the all switches. Failing that, in-band is possible.

Which approach are you taking?

Steve

Contributor

Steve Day wrote:

I think I need to understand how you plan to do your fabric management. Broadly speaking there are two approaches, with variants:

1. Logical Chassis Management. The whole fabric is treated as a single management entity, and is the preferred approach. I suggest using out-of-band access i.e. into the management ethernet port of the principal switch such as Man 12/0 in your case, or into the console port albeit no SNMP nor sFlow there. In-band access via one of the edge ports is possible too.
  2. Fabric Chassis mode. With this mode, the switches are managed individually although there is still a whole fabric. Again I suggest out-of-band access but this time to the management ethernet port of the all switches. Failing that, in-band is possible.

Which approach are you taking?

Steve

Thanks. I'm using the first one -- the whole fabric is treated as a single management entity and I'd like to manage it via one of the edge ports (meaning no cable attached to the management port of the principal switch).

Occasional Contributor

I'm in this exact same scenario and would like to know how to do this as well.

Contributor

I figured it out. You need to create a virtual interface. Assuming that the out-of-band VLAN is 10:

rbridge-id XX
interface Ve 10
ip address 192.168.1.1/24

There are some limitations though, for example, you won't be able to submit support info and load firmware via FTP/SFTP via Ve interface.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook