Ethernet Fabric (VDX, CNA)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do I add new VDX 6740 switches in the existing fabric

Hi,

We are adding two new vdx 6740 switches to our existing fabric with 3 vdx 6740 running in logical chassis mode.

The new switches are running the same firmware 5.0.1a as the prodution switches. We have setup the vcs id, rbridge-id and logical chassis enabled.

My biggest concern is having these new switches overwrite the running configuration of the production switches when we connect them.

What is the correct procedure? Do we need to put the new switches in the rack powered off and connect all the cables and then bring them up one at a time and they will just join the fabric?

Thank you.

Regards,

Rommel

New Contributor

Re: How do I add new VDX 6740 switches in the existing fabric

We run firmware 6.0.2 but I did exactly what you mentioned. I configured the rbridge ID, VCS ID, and enabled logical chassis mode. Do nothing else... If you do the other rbridges fail to join. They won't overwrite anything, they just won't join. I racked the new rbridges, powered them up, and 30 minutes later (they boot slow as hell) I connected them to the existing fabric I wanted them to join. If you are consoled into it as you connect it to the existing fabric, you can actually see as they pull the config down and join the rest of the fabric. It's pretty cool to watch the thing scroll as it pulls it all down. If the get the config mismatch message, it means you setup too much on the new rbridges. I literally configure nothing except what you said you've already configured. It should join just fine that way, and you can configure the rest once it's in the fabric. Have fun!
New Contributor

Re: How do I add new VDX 6740 switches in the existing fabric

Hi Brandon,

Thank you very much for the reply. Really appreciated.

Regards,

Rommel

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook